FEDEX or Alaska?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Albie-
That is some incredible advice...thanks for the reminder. I am retiring from AD in May and start with SWA that same month (thanks for the interview prep by the way!) What you just mapped out is exactly what I had in mind...

BC

AlbieF15, thanks for the advice. Sounds like a man who read "The Purpose Driven Life". I really believe in tithing (though not directed by God), but our management/the devil took more than 3 times my tithe so I can't afford to anymore. I'm not being sarcastic.

AV8,

Here's a goofball way to look at this....

Our international flying is largely subcontracted by foreign carriers. How bitter would you be about that?
Very astute, Albie. With global trade barriers melting, Fedex airlines could very well be Atari or Colecovision in 20 years. Nothing goofball about it. The global economy will be vastly different in just 5 years, much less 20. Combine that with age 60 and all "Fedex is as secure as it comes" bets are off. Reminds me of Fedex and WN buds leaving for UAL and DAL in 1999/2000.

AlbieF15, thanks for the advice. Sounds like a man who read "The Purpose Driven Life". I really believe in tithing (though not directed by God), but our management/the devil took more than 3 times my tithe so I can't afford to anymore. I'm not being sarcastic.

Again--easy for me to preach when things are good about what others should do... I am not trying to dictate your personal life. On the other hand--when you DO find your niche--and things get better--perhaps you CAN move back in that direction. A regional guy tithing 3000 of 30k is hurting worse than a widebody captain giving 25 of 250k. I am NOT trying to dictate terms to anyone. I am just pointing out in my life a lot of success followed the decision. However...I went 14 AD years without making significant contributions so I can certainly relate to your current situation.

One advantage I think that flying cargo has over flying pax is we are paid to be reliable...not necessarily efficient. That means we have a lot more reserves, standbys, etc . We also (generally) fly fewer legs and have (generally) a bit more hotel time. I have always tried to use this down time efficiently. Instead of TV, I strive to get a workout :p (often skipped!) then dive into whatever projects I have. I completed ACSC some years back on the road and on the 727 panel. A lot of my courseware was designed and written on the road, and I recently redid my audio prep course on a 4 day hotel standby. So--if you are flying 5-6 legs a day you probably cannot compete with my free time at the moment--due to the nature of our different jobs. However--if you do have some downtime on trips that time can be used productively in a lot of ways. It sure keeps me from being bored when I'm on the road...

Personally--I think the next mutli-millionare is the pilot/pilot group that starts on on time, show up when called, solid contracting and "fix it" business. Anyone in my area trying to get anything done has tons of exasperating stories, myself included. I'd litter NW Florida with my fingers if I tried to do any light construction, but for the guys saavy enough to do it I am convinced you could make a killing doing GOOD work for folks at a fair price.

I understand your position but if it was me I'd say "EJECT! EJECT! EJECT!"

If you're around to hear the third one, you'll be talking to yourself.

Take a look at your company's financial position and then look at FedEx. If you see a reason to stay after doing that - then do so. However, I think you'd be crazy not to accept the FedEx position (if it has been offered).

What was Alaska's payscale before the decline? Do you guys at Alaska think you can get your payscale back to where it used to be?

I have been with Alaska for 5 years and possibly upgrading in 3+ years. I have a good schedule but the pay is not enough to get by on the west coast, thanks to Kasher. I don't mind moving or even commuting for FEDEX. I don't have a crystal ball, but I want better career stability and pay (I know... so does everyone else). Would you leave Alaska for FEDEX?

Here is one way that a guy could look at it....... In the two to three years that the FedEx guys are saying that it will take to be making 130,000.00 a year as a wide body co-pilot, we will still be in negotiations. We work for a management team that does not have that founders zeal that I think Albie was talking about. They are confident that at the end of protracted negotiations, we will be prevented from taking self help by the courts or the PEB. Would you rather live through that or watch that happen from FedEx.
There is no doubt that the grass is always greener on the other side but in this case there just is not a down side.
It is also apparent that our niches that we have always been strong in are being eroded and we are in no position to fend that off. Our operational reliability continues to slip and that in turn prevents us from taking advantage of growth markets. And while the bench marks ,such as casm, that drive executive compensation continue to be met throught the miracles of modern accounting, the real cost associated with running the airline continue to rise. It is very likely that when we do arrive at the end of mediation in 2009 or 2010, we will be facing mounting losses and real lack of profitability.
I think at some point we will be offered up for sale. It will be for our airplanes and facilities not for our operation and none of that spells stability or career longevity for a pilot........This track that we are on is not new. It began prior to 261 and has been slowly but surely manifesting itself.

So if the fine folks at FedEx have asked you to join them and you intend to fly airplanes for a living, you might just want to say yes....If I had the pedigree that would give me a chance at FedEx, and I planned on making my living flying airplanes, I would happily give up my 8 years with Alaska and join them.....

Finally--and this is personal...tithe. After years of not doing that, I realized before I left the AF that if I was ever going to start the time to do it was "right now". So...when I left active I started. I don't want to preach to anyone on an internet forum, but I can tell you our family has never struggled since we made that committment. We've worked hard--but there always seems to be more than enough to honor our committment and still live very comfortably. (I ain't pefect...I cuss, get frustrated, and do a lot of imperfect stuff. But...you ASKED how folks managed to make it work. I'm just sharing how it worked for us in our house...)

Here here! I will also stand behind that as a TRUE statement. So..how do you give 10 % back to the Lord, and end up with more in the end.....Kingdom Finances baby. Albie, best of luck to you, I am confident that anything you put your hand to will prosper.

I have been with Alaska for 5 years and possibly upgrading in 3+ years. I have a good schedule but the pay is not enough to get by on the west coast, thanks to Kasher. I don't mind moving or even commuting for FEDEX. I don't have a crystal ball, but I want better career stability and pay (I know... so does everyone else). Would you leave Alaska for FEDEX?

Just curious. Is JL's policy of not hiring someone currently flying at another major (is Alaska a major?) still in effect given his departure from the SCP position? Maybe this whole discussion is moot.

Assuming this is not a factor, Boxboy, do you have a job offer or is this just your toe in the water? Depending on your situation, you might want to pad the numbers in your "ciphering" to include the 1-2 year wait for an interview/job offer if you do try to make the move to purple.
Good Luck either way.

Latest resources

Back