Fedex Mins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnnyV

Has anyone heard about logging T-34C Instructor Pilot time as tactical jet time with FEDEX? There is a rumor floating around the training command that they are counting our IP time toward thier high PIC mins.

Well, if they did that, they should allow the pilots of Caravans, Malibu Meridians, TBMs, and other single engine turboprops to log that time toward the PIC minimums.

Not Likely...It's not tactical....it's not a jet. It would probably open a huge "can o worms" since they will not even hire guys from their Fedex Feeders who fly caravans, until they get multi time somewhere else. I'd call pilot recruitment, prior to making any interpertations. Good Luck!

Valentine -

I wouldn't think that is counted as "jet" time.... However it might count toward PIC time (under the military instructor PIC column - read very good for you).

My advice FWIW is to call your buds that work there that will obviously be walking your paperwork into HR anyway go see the people in Memphis ahead of time and get a "warm fuzzy".

Semper Paratus.

Striker.

Yeah...that's a good one, somebody's April Fools joke gone bad. That would be called, let's see...submitting false information on an application. You would be shown the door about 10 minutes into the interview. A T-34 instructor can log turbo-prop PIC, single engine land and obviously instructor time, nothing "tactical" or "jet" about it. Here are the min qualifications from the website:

1500 hours total fixed-wing time as pilot-in command (PIC) or first officer (SIC) including a minimum 1000 hours PIC in fixed-wing jet, fixed wing multi-engine turbo-prop, or multi-engine recip over 20,000 LBGW or combination thereof.

Note: PIC for this purpose is defined as Captain/Aircraft Commander of record, not simply the sole manipulator of the controls.

Note: FedEx considers only pilot time in fixed wing aircraft toward minimum qualifications. This does not include simulator, helicopter, flight engineer, bombardier, navigator, RIO, EWO, WSO, NFO, or Special Crew.

Since it is single engine, it does not count toward the minimum 1000 hours above, but once you have the 1000 hours PIC in "fixed-wing jet, fixed wing multi-engine turbo-prop, or multi-engine recip over 20,000 LBGW or combination thereof" you could use it to get to the 1500 minimum, but DO NOT put it in any category labeled "tactical" or "jet"! I would squash this rumor ASAP before someone makes the mistake of actually believing it, and costing himself a job with the grand distinction of looking like an idiot in the process. I hate to sound so harsh, but really guys, just think about it.

Last edited:
"Q: What do you mean by military jet "tactical?"
A: Some examples of military jets in the tactical category are F-18, F-15, F-16, S-3. Other single pilot jets including training aircraft."

I found this under the "questions" section in www.pilot.fedex.com. I guess the gotcha in your case would be the word "jets" although a T-34 is a single pilot training aircraft. When in doubt, querry the controller......you know what I mean!?!?

T-34C rumor

This same rumor was floating around three years ago. I talked to some of the FEDEX hiring folks at an airshow in Tenn. about the rumor. In so many words they said "not unless they couldn't find more qualified pilots." The policy was T-37's and T-34's were weighted equally. Seemed like a weird policy since a T-37 is a jet.
This was three years ago when eveyone was hiring. Times have changed, we just had three F-18/14 guys and over 10 AF heavy pilots hired at Comair so getting into FEDEX counting T-34C time as tactical jet seems unlikely.

Whoa, where do you get that T-37 and T-34C time are weighted the same? The T-37 clearly falls under "Military Tactical Jet" as (1) it is propelled mainly by jet thrust* and (2) it is a single pilot training aircraft. The T-34C fails to meet the first requirement as its' jet engine is attached to a propeller.

Hopefully this will change sometime in the near future. Two aircraft, same mission, similar performance. Outta be weighted the same. Navy dudes... wheres your union??

Spur

* The T-37 is also propelled in part by its' tendency to repel all objects within about a half mile (including the ground) due to its' high decibal ear piercing whine. This property is often mistaken for ground effect by inexperienced IPs and students.

Spur said:
Whoa, where do you get that T-37 and T-34C time are weighted the same? The T-37 clearly falls under "Military Tactical Jet" as (1) it is propelled mainly by jet thrust* and (2) it is a single pilot training aircraft. The T-34C fails to meet the first requirement as its' jet engine is attached to a propeller.

Hey don't forget that the A-37 was about as tactical as a jet can get!
I've never seen a T-34 variant with hardpoints!

Latest resources

Back