FEDEX military flight time conversion?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnnyV

Does anyone know if FEDEX lets us use a flight time conversion factor to convert military time to civilian? I have about 850 PIC between the Herc & Falcon & a using a conversion would get me ovewr the 1000 PIC.

Negative, sorry. To meet the minimum qualifications you must submit actual flight time. There really is no such thing as "civilian" flight time, as I mentioned in the other string, some airlines allow a "plus up" conversion factor to military flight time. As military pilots, we normally log takeoff to landing plus 5 minutes taxi time, however the civilians usually log engine start to shutdown, or hobs. Therefore, some companies allow a multiplication factor of about 1.1-1.3 to put you on a more equal level, flight-time wise with the civilians, as well as give consideration to the different type of flying we do (generally not as much, generally more intense).

The catch is, every airline will want something different, some tell you specifically NOT to convert your time, like FedEx. I believe there is some conversion factor used, but the pilot recruitment folks do it in-house and may be different depending on the type of time logged (fighter, transport, etc.) The most important thing is to read the specific airline app very carefully, as I said, they are all different and some want only straight logged time. You don't want to show up to the interview and realize you made a mistake, this could put you into the "doesn't follow directions" or "overstated flight time" category, even if it was unintentional.

The FedEx app tells you not to convert time, however you don't get the app until you have met the min. requirements and they have called you for an interview. The point to note here is that if the company has an online profile like FedEx, UPAS, etc. that doesn't mention anything about a conversion factor, confirm the factor or just put down what's in your logbook. On the upside, you don't have long to go! Good luck.

Last edited:
Fedex appears to have changed their policy on this as they tell you in the Q&A:
Q: Can I use a conversion factor when determining flight time accumulated in the military?
A: Yes. You may add a plus (.2) per sortie factor to your flight times. Please note that this conversion factor is applied to each sortie not to total time.
Unless I am reading it wrong....just submitted my app so someone correct me if you know please...here's the link:
http://pilot.fedex.com/careers/questions.shtml
Keep in mind that is per SORTIE...a royal pain in the @$$...

By the way, F18FDX, how are your lines on the DC10 and how long did it take you to get on it? Do they differentiate between domestic and international or are they mixed? Thanks!

Fedex allowed for .2 per sortie when f18fdx got hired, he just not that smart being a fighter guy! HE HE

Not so sure they did for the min. quals Slacker, but I guess you must have needed a bump up for all those COD hours!

My apologies Johnny, sorry to have posted bad gouge on current requirements. As for the DC-10, Gumby, I like the trips much better than the 727, longer layovers, lots of day flying. I got it the week I was hired but had to go to the 727 for 6 months prior to a training date. As of the bid last month, it has gotten more senior, my best guess would be around the one year point but things are constantly changing.

Last edited:
Awesome info!! Thanks.

Thanks for the info guys! That puts me well over the 1000 PIC. My old skipper just got hired & it would be nice to follow his lead.

Latest resources

Back