• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Interview!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Okay...here's a few thoughts (that some may not like...)

It has been my experience that many successful people have been successful in many endevours. It has also been my experience that many good pilots get more than 1 offer when they apply to the airlines and have several choices to make. Preparation, networking, personality, qualifications, and luck all play a role in getting hired by a major. Everyone has their own idea of the "magic formula", but whatever the ratio I think the order of importance is just as I wrote them down.

Trying to get hired by a major is more than throwing in an app and getting angry when others get called. You need to NAIL your app with solid info, updated contact information, and update update update. Networking is key--calling friends, attending tradeshows, and either jumpseating or working with jumpseaters from other carriers on your airline. You may be a great pilot, but if you are jerk aviation is a small town, and word gets around. Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate. Lesson: Don't be a d!ck for 10 years and then suddenly expect a lot of help from the inside when you decide you want to work somewhere else. Quals are important, but we all know there will be guys and gals with more experience than aren't hired (for above reasons) or with less that are hired--so get over the big numbers on your resume. If you meet the min, you meet the min...welcome to the game. Finally--luck. It doesn't hurt to have some. However, I am confident luck is (old quote) where preparation meets opportunity.

So...to our friend with options...good luck and good for you! Modesty becomes a man, but I also know you didn't get those calls by accident. You obviously worked hard to make things happen. I hope you'll soon be reviewing those "FDX or JetBlue" threads and having to make the call. On a personal note, I love FDX but we do have an "us/them" food fight going on right now over the next contract, and that just seems to be the way we work around here. JetBlue has an awesome culture and a bright future. However, there are a lot of variables in any equation so important and mine came out firmly for FDX, as did several of my friends and acquaintences with the same choice. However, one of our own moderators had the chance to join me here at stayed at JB, so there are always other sides to any coin. Godspeed and good luck.

Last edited:
Now you did it

Now you guys did it...all that griping and now dad (Albie) came in a talked sense like he always does.

One quick remark about a sense of entitlement: Does every pilot who reaches a certain level in their career feel a sense of entitlement? He11 yes. If you don't you are full of it. You will seem like a jerk if you verbalize it, though (especially here). After a decade of flying around the world in the military did I feel like I deserved to be hired? Yup. Did I feel secure about getting hired? Nope. If there is one thing most of us with a level head have seen over the years, it is no matter what kind of flying god you may be, you still might not get hired.

Civilian guys keep hearing how mil guys have multiple interviews and probably get steamed. The reason for the multiple interviews is mil guys reach a point at which they are suddently avialable and stuff starts to happen.

Basically, if all you can do is gripe, there is probably a reason why you don't get hired at certain places.

Latest resources

Back