• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx hiring projection

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes it does. And it is just the beginning. Wait until the AGE 65 proponents get done raping us. That will mean another year or two of stagnation for those sitting on the sidelines or in the right seat.

Remember though, this is a good deal and the right thing to do!

Thanks APAAD.

FJ

Actually there is nothing illegal about writing an age 60 retirement into your pilot's contract even if the FAA retirement age goes up higher.

AA never had herpes, they weren't allowed to continue as flight engineers, and if they were flight engineers (NOT PFE's) when they turned 60 they were kicked out and handed their pensions.

Many lawfirms have mandatory retirement age for their partners, and of course the controllers have mandatory retirement age.

So Just because the age goes up does not automatically mean that the pilots rae going to be entitled to stay in their left seats.

There is nothing illegal about madatory retirement.

Cheers
Wino

so a captian hits 60 goes to the back and then is replacd by an fo where do they get all the fos from without hiring. i agree that age 65 will make a difference but a slight not major i can't believe that everyone will continue to work until 65 i would be very surprised that 50% would stay. any preliminary stats being done to see how many might stick around? just trying to still have a little hope on getting on this year.

if you don't worship the hoff he will come over and give you a reason to worship him.

Heard that they don't even plan on draining the pool. I guess they expect the guys floating right now will get plucked up by CAL and others... Anybody else heard this one?

so a captian hits 60 goes to the back and then is replacd by an fo where do they get all the fos from without hiring. i agree that age 65 will make a difference but a slight not major i can't believe that everyone will continue to work until 65 i would be very surprised that 50% would stay. any preliminary stats being done to see how many might stick around? just trying to still have a little hope on getting on this year.

Plan for the worst. Pilots turning 60 who haven't been here that long will want to stick around to make more money and maximize retirement. Pilots turning 60 who have been here for a long time are enjoying their seniority and a great vacation system. I would be very surprised if under new age 65 mandatory retirements 10-20% left at age 60. Take the old hiring/upgrade projections and throw them out.

The good news is FedEx is still getting scarebuses, 777s, and 757s. Of course the 3 seat cockpits are slowly going away, so factor that in - hundreds of plummers who in the future will move to a window seat means less hiring and slower advancement for new hires.

It would take a strong will to turn down another ~1.5 million in income to leave to your family.

You'll also leave it to them years earlier, but hey - nobody REALLY thinks that applies to them, right? Like Lake Wobegon: all the children are above average.... Those nasty health problems caused by staying past 60 - those are for the other guys to worry about. Right?

if you don't worship the hoff he will come over and give you a reason to worship him.

I wouldn't count on to many guys still leaving at 60. Here at netjets we have a bunch of 60 plus guys that retired from the airlines that don't plan on leaving anytime soon. I've talk to some that say there going to work until they die.

I also don't buy the thinking that more will go than will stay. We'll just have to wait and see.
I'm wondering though how supporting retroactivity is the right thing to do for the right reasons when there have been other occasions where the right thing to do was unceremoniously shat upon.

Heard that they don't even plan on draining the pool. ... Anybody else heard this one?

They told a guy in the pool they are looking at May 2008 for class. Obviously a time period that far away is subject to change- in either direction. The upside to no rapid advancement/hiring is no rapid furloughing either... i'll let you all debate age 65. Though i do think it's naive to think it's not hindering hiring.

Last edited:
Just like the end of the postal wave, hiring will stop for a few years, we'll get short-handed, and then the next hiring bonanza will begin. The guys that decided to wait (or didn't have the opportunity) to move will be stuck in the back of the Boeing for 3 (+/-) years. Getting rid of the 3-crew planes at the same time age 60 is changing will cause some added delays. This too shall pass.

Latest resources

Back