• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fedex Contractors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't doubt your claims. It's just that sometimes I hear some really crazy things about how these 135 operators want time. It's almost like they are higher than the airlines. I spoke to one last year and he said in a snotty voice, "We don't hire anyone with less than 2000 hours, period." So I was thinking that if I had 2000 hours (and say 200 hours Multi) this guy would be the last person that I would approach when I could be on my way to the majors.

Anyway, excuse my ignorance. I'm only a 200 hour instrument student that is a ways away from getting a job flying anything, so I don't really have that much insight on how this whole industry works. I'm just trying to educate myself now, so I can build the "right" kind of time and no what to shoot for.

WW - Maybe I can help a little.

When I first started flying again two years ago it wasn't uncommon to meet guys who were hired at COEX, Chatauqua, Corpex, etc. at 500+ hours. At the same time Mountain Air Cargo, Mid-Atlantic Freight, and Ram Air wanted 135 mins for an interview. Mountain Air Cargo and Mid-Atlantic paid quite a bit more for new FOs though (Ram Air maxed at $95 per day/run then, I think). Some guys I talked to said they were going to these companies instead of the regionals because of the starting pay, because of the locations (local), and because some couldn't get an interview with COEX, ACA, etc. Mid-Atlantic and MAC also had quite a few 'lifers' who were never gonna' move on. Some guys just don't aspire to spiffy airline uniforms and much higher pay potential, willing to trade off for better quality of life and a known quantity.

On the other side ... the management types at Ram Air and MAC told me they were lucky to get eight or nine months out of a pilot before they were off to a regional with their new 200 hours of multi. It was a horror story according to the ADO at Ram Air. So today though, most of those 500-hour regional pilots are furloughed (or terminated at Chatauqua), so I'm not sure what the smarter move would have been if I had been ready then.

Minh

The reason for the 2000 hour minimum for the Fedex Caravan job has to do with Fedex. That is thier minimum for insurance purposes. This is a single pilot job and they are looking for a person with solid IFR skills and experience. As all of you know, Fedex owns all of the Caravans and just gives them to the 135 operators for pilot staffing and maintainance purposes. They are not really looking for time builders and they wind up spending quite a bit of money on you when they hire you. All of the pilots go to Flight Safety for the initial in the Caravan and go there once a year for a checkride. I flew the Fedex caravan for three years and had 800 hrs in the caravan before I got there and still had to go to flight safety for an initial when they hired me. It is actually one of the best fr8 jobs you can get if that is what you are looking to do. Fedex is a class operation and the Caravans are treated just as well. The pay is not bad to start and when I was there you could go up to about 50k a year after a few years flying the caravan. I worked for Wiggins Airways. They operate about 30 caravans for Fedex in the Northeast. Wiggins was a great company and treated thier people well. Any other questions about this job, please post them and I will be happy to answer

Hey Weekendwarrior, You ask why you could get hired at a regional with 1000/100 and at the caravan operators you need around 2000 hrs. The simple reason is that it is an insurance requirement, but you also have to look at the conditions and you are flying in and the fact you are by yourself in the Caravan. I don't fly the Caravan, but I do fly for a freight company that flies on a UPS contract with 402's and Beech99's. All of these runs are flown single pilot mostly at night in some of the worst weather out there. Its one thing to sit in a nice new RJ with EFIS and great weather radar with someone else with a lot more expierence then your 1000/100 and make decisions together about what to do then it is to be in a old unpressurized Piston or Turboprop without radar or stormscope and if your lucky a VFR GPS in thunderstorms or severe icing and have to make all the decisions by yourself. Some guys aren't intrested in the night freight thing and others don't want to go to a regional and love the freight thing. You basically have to decide what is best for you and do that. Pearsonally I love the freight thing and kinda like when we have $hitty weahther, kinda like a challenge for me I guess. If you have any other questions just let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Ok..now that is making more sense! Sounds like a type of flying I could get into if I were single (and had the skills, of course.) Being married with 2 young children, I don't know if nights (at least for a permanant career position) would be to condusive to family life.

However, during my train up time and building hours, I'll take any time I can get. So, if there were some night freight type jobs that don't require the 2000 hours, I'd take that too. First of all, I have to get my 1000 before I do much about that. Time is coming quick for me since I own my own airplane, which is nice.

Thanks for all the helpful education. It's great to have some kind of knowledge base to pick from other than employer's websites!

Latest resources

Back