Fedex Contractors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

weekendwarrior

I've heard that the smaller pistons and turboprops that fedex operate are not actually Fedex airplanes or employees. Is this true? If so, who is the company (ies) that actually operate them and what are their hiring requirements?

Yup,
They belong to Fedex who leases them to the contractors. I guess that gives them control without having to pay the pilots a descent wage. Sound familiar?

If you go to a feeder and fly, where can you go next. I have seen some Caravan operators ( not FedEx feeders) that only require 135 mins. My question is, can you go to a regional after that or is multi set in stone with single engine turbine not counting for anything?

Photopilot,
Could you please explain what you are trying to say? Perhaps you are asking if Caravan pilots can get other jobs, and yes, of course they can. Mountain Air Cargo has Caravans and FK-27's. I'm sure you could get a job at many different places after transferring to the Fokker and gaining some experience in it. Is that what you are asking?

Skydiverdriver,
Thanks for responding. A few companies I have seen operate Caravans only. They hire at 135 mins. and seem to pay decent. I would like to fly a Caravan but I do not want to be stuck. So basically, I am wondering if I were to go to a Caravan only operator, with only 100 hours of multi, where would I stand a coule of years down the road with for example: 3000 total, 100 multi, and 1600 single engine turbine. Once things pick up, would I be hireable with mostly caravan time.

Sure, and if it's the best job you can find, take it. The general rule is that you want to get the heaviest and dirtiest time you can, and a Caravan is certainly heavier than a 172, if that's the choice. You will also get a lot of good weather time, lots of approaches and PIC time. It's true that Caravan time doesn't count as much as multi, but you will get excellent experience, and should be able to go to a good regional after that. Good luck.

anyone know what the requirements are for these contracted companies for Fedex? There are alot of those smaller Fedex planes here in Arizona going to the smaller remote cities that are too far for ground couriers. Also, what are the 135 minimums that are spoken about? 1500 TT or something similar?

Most of the minimums at these places are well beyond 135 minimums. Somewhere around 2000-2500TT. There's a ton of info available about these companies here on the board. Just do a search for "FedEx" or "Caravan".

Isnt' that a little backwards than it should be? If one could get a job with a commuter building twin turbo prop time at 1000 TT/100 Multi, then why would someone with 2000 hours go fly a caravan? Excuse my ignorance, but am I missing something?

weekendwarrior said:
Isnt' that a little backwards than it should be? If one could get a job with a commuter building twin turbo prop time at 1000 TT/100 Multi, then why would someone with 2000 hours go fly a caravan? Excuse my ignorance, but am I missing something?

Well, don't take my word for it. Take a look around at the different compnay websites and see for yourself.

Latest resources

Back