FEDEX Class April 5

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Purple or Blue

Although biased in the purple pursuasion, the primary consideration for me would be location, location, location. Do you currently commute and would changing companies and domiciles change your ability to get to work and still enjoy enough off time? FedEx is a very commuter friendly company, and many lines have deadheads at both ends that you can turn into flights from where you live to start and end the trip. Getting a paid seat to get to work is a pretty decent perk. You are also discipline (and pay, I think, with substitution) protected if you are jumpseating on FedEx aircraft if the flight is late or canceled.

Of course, it would be hard to give up the seniority you enjoy (and if deliveries keep coming) and will continue to enjoy at jB. Growth on the pax side is promising for jB and hopefully will continue for some time, ensuring quick upgrade and a very nice 3 digit seniority number out of possibly several thousand some day. Possible down side is a decline in demand due to economic and/or geopolitical realities and the ever present (however remote) chance of the company failing or being bought out. The latter could be a blessing or a curse I guess. Labor concerns at each carrier should be considered as has already been mentioned.

If you can get your ego to accept the fact that you have to sit sideways in the back for several years you will likely (depending on your age) make much more money over the long haul at FedEx. Life, of course, isn't just about the money (although money is why most of us work). You won't be in the back forever, although it sure feels like it sometimes, and eventually you will have the opportunity to chase the big money with international, widebody flights. The retirement plans make a big difference in terms of the overall compensation over your career, and although a 401K is a good vehicle and its your money, it is YOUR money that is paid in and some of the company's money to match. The A and B funds are company paid and you can still participate in a 401K plan if you like (not much matching of course).

Its a very complicated decision and much more involved than a simple boxes at night vs people by day or established major vs up and coming startup soon to be major argument. FedEx is a highly regarded company on Wall St and has consistently been rated as one of the best companies to work for by Forbes Inc over the years. jB is led by people with vision and has so far managed to emulate the very successful SWA model and shows no sign of slowing down.

I know its tough to leave a company that you really like and enjoy working at who was kind enough to offer you a job during tough times, particularly with the seniority that you have acquired at jB. That shouldn't prevent you, however, from evaluating every opportunity you have to see if there isn't something better for you out there.

(Quick analogy: ARod was getting paid 25.2 M per year to play baseball for the Texas Rangers. Most guys would give their left kidney to get paid that much per year to do anything, let alone play baseball. A better offer (to HIM) came along and he jumped on it. He had a 10 year contract. So in business, any business, its just business. Every pilot should always feel free to evaluate new opportunites to improve their lives and/or make more money. End of analogy)

I'm sure you will do what you think is best for you and your family and then you should rest easy that you made the best choice you could at the time. As many have said, you won't know if you made the correct choice until you retire.

Best of luck to you, can't wait to hear what you decide.

FJ

Welcome Aboard!!

FedEx,

Glad to hear that you finally got the call!!!!! I know you've been squirming for awhile. Let's just hope that this small amount of hiring turns into another, nice big Tidal Wave!!!

Let me know your training sched - I'll buy you some beverages before you get too busy.

P.S. Enjoy flying the RJ until the last leg - unless hiring really picks up, I think you might miss flying for a little while.

Congrats and I'll see you in MEM!!!!!!!!!!!

backflip

I am not going to steer you toward one company or another. You really have to look inward, not outward for your decision. Most pilots would love to work at either company. I'll admitt, FedEx has a proven track record and has longevity over JetBlue, but Blue looks promising and I'm sure it is a great place to work.

It was mentioned above, but it is really the most important point. Where do you live? Where do you want to live? If you live and WANT to live at a JetBlue base, stay blue. If you want to move to Memphis, LAX, Alaska, or Subic Bay, it is a no-brainer; go with FedEx.

If you are a commuter, now the decision gets a bit more tricky. You have read above that FedEx is a commuter friendly airline. This is VERY true if you have a little seniority. Sitting reserve in MEM for 1/2 the month with your family elsewhere is not ideal, but many pilot do it. Getting to and from is usually pretty easy if you commute from a city served by FedEx, otherwise you must beg and hope while commuting offline. With a moderate amount of seniority, you can hold week on, week off. These schedules are commuter friendly. With a little more seniority (I am going to take a stab in the dark and say in the top 60% or so), you can hold double dead heads. These schedules usually mean you are away from home no more than domicile based pilots. You get a paid ticket that you can deviate with and fly directly from your home town to your trip starting location and back when you are done. This is a commuters dream.

What would I do? It all depends on where you want to live. For me, I live in Memphis for now. I plan to move away and become a commuter when I meet the following: get off the panel of the 727, get into a seat that pulls on a yoke and makes a decent amount of money, accrue some seniority that allows for a decent commuter's schedule (week on, week off). That said, we have roughly a 70% pilot commuter crew force from what I was told. This includes guys from every airframe, crew posisiton, and seniority. It is whatever works for you.

You will get mostly FedEx info here, since the thread has a FedEx title. Decision time. Doesn't it suck to have options? ; )

Goose17

Congrats guys! Go with FedEx - sorry.....biased.
BTW, Alaska is a great place to live - especially this time of year (Spring/Summer/Fall), Winter gets old.

I was faced with SWA or FedEx. 911 made the decision for me, after that date my feeling was that we were living in a new world and that the threat of terrorist was just a new reality. I went with FedEx simply because 911 proved that moving freight was more relisient and FedEx actually grew during this period. Bottom line cargo has no emotion and commerce will continue to travel even during the unthinkable situations. That does not mean to say FedEx is terror proof (just use your imagination of possiblities). However, our business is not tied to fear or emotion. A gloom and doom response, but weigh everything.

Any more calls for the April 12 class? Any word on if they are gonna start interviewing soon to fill the pool back up?

Interviews et al

First and Foremost:

Welcome to all the guys coming for classes. I am extremely happy to see you!!! Yehah!!!!

Interviews - I flew with a captain the other day - his son was interviewing last week. I think there were a handful of interviews conducted. As I recall they interviewed on the 17th.

There may be more interviews coming. If you already have your application in...update it and get your friends/neighbors/associates to champion your cause.

Great to hear there are people coming onboard. You'll love the company, the flying and the future.

Gotta Run - planes to preflight, switches to throw, coffee to pour.

Ape

Last edited:
As the very first post in this thread stated, and quoting from KD from a conversation earlier today "24 out of the pool by May, and hopefully more later on. We hope to have everyone out of the pool by the end of the year."

In the mean time she asked for a current FE written and 1st class medical for her file.

This post is nothing new and not much help I know, but it was nice to hear that I was still in the pool. Also it never hurts to get confirmation on other posts, so keep em coming, please!

This Thread gets numerous visits from me throughout the day and I enjoy the entertainment.

NO MORE YANKY MY WANKY!
THE DONGER NEED A JOB!!!

Anyone knows if FedEx hires non citizen. I have the right to live and work in the US but do not have a US passport yet.
I heard from a buddy of mine that they wanted their pilots to be US citizens.
Any tips? Thanks!

Latest resources

Back