• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not like its that hard

Is it rocket science now?
SWPA Pilot said:
I have that on my "to-do" list. I have my computer this week with me and will have a new name by the end of the week.

Roll Out

Falconjet said:
Carlos: I have to respectfully disagree to a point. While the negotiating committee speaks for me, it is OUR job to approve what they negotiate, hence the vote.

Although I agree that getting this passed might help out the poolies and the current pilot group, I'm not going to blindy vote for this any more so than I will when we get the full TA for a vote.

By sending it forward the negotiating committee has sent a message that the offer is worth our consideration, but it should not be construed as a rubber stamp endorsement.

The email even said that you should read the LOA and decide for yourself if it is acceptable, and if so vote in favor. I got the impression that the committee wants it to pass by the tone of the email, but I still owe it to myself and the rest of the pilot group to read it and then vote.

I look forward to the day when we can do the same on the full TA.

I've got your back, and I know you have mine.

The negotiating committee speaks for me.

Lets GitRDone!

FJ

Excellent post FJ and I couldn't agree with you more. It is our responsiblity to look over the TA and decide for ourselves how to vote. My MEC speaks for me but I still decide my vote. Both sides can be argued for its pro's and con's but please take the time TO vote.

I still think it is BS that when the comapany really needs something that such priority to get it done actually happens. AT THE VERY LEAST I would like to see one or two cornerstone sections get TA'd in return, if it passes, for our good faith effort. Even if it does pass I really don't see this as any kind of victory.

Last edited:
PurpleTail said:
Even if it does pass I really don't see this as any kind of victory.

I disagree. It is quite a victory. We have been trying for years to get a move package to ANC with no avail. When the company approached the MEC with the MOAB only package, the MEC negotiated in good faith, realized we were in a position of advantage, and stared the company down... refusing the initial offer. I imagine they took some heat for that from members contemplating ANC moves.

But they knew what they were doing. The company blinked. The LOA, in the MECs own words, leaves "very little, if any, money on the table." And it will be incorporated in future agreements.

I say nice job guys... I voted "In favor of the MEC LOA...."

PurpleTail said:
I still think it is BS that when the comapany really needs something that such priority to get it done actually happens. AT THE VERY LEAST I would like to see one or two cornerstone sections get TA'd in return, if it passes, for our good faith effort. Even if it does pass I really don't see this as any kind of victory.

This demonstrates that when the company decides that it is THEIR best interests to come to the table and really negotiate, they will do so. The management at FedEx is very smart, and it is simply not in their best interests to complete a new contract right now. It is just business, and with every day of delay they get away with paying us lower wages. They needed this LOA to grow the ANC base, and thus they came to the table in a reasonable manner and got it done. Eventually this will happen with the whole CBA.

This is where I differ somewhat with the union leader's rhetoric. I don't hold it against the company that they are playing hardball. I expect nothing less. Eventually, when the time comes, they will decide (and maybe we will help them) that it IS in their best interest to get the CBA done and THEN (and only then) they will come to the table in earnest.

I'm not sure of what it will take to get them to come to that conclusion, but it will happen one day, and then we will get the contract we have earned.

I'm patient and I'm ready for the long haul.

My negotiating committee speaks for me.

FJ

PurpleTail said:
Excellent post FJ and I couldn't agree with you more. It is our responsiblity to look over the TA and decide for ourselves how to vote. My MEC speaks for me but I still decide my vote. Both sides can be argued for its pro's and con's but please take the time TO vote.

I agree with you and I have voted.... NO for me.
I'd like to see a contract or nothing!

I have read the LOA and voted, but I won't kiss and tell!

I hope we get about 99% voting though because I think that will send a message to management that we are engaged in the process and willing to put this CBA to bed (one way or the other) when they finally step up to the plate.

VOTE!

FJ

Falconjet said:
I'm not sure of what it will take to get them to come to that conclusion, but it will happen one day, and then we will get the contract we have earned.

I'm patient and I'm ready for the long haul.

My negotiating committee speaks for me.

FJ

I don't work with y'all yet but I do own your stock...and I have made a killing (to me at least) with it. Stock was trading at $80 last fall and is now over $110...fantastic.

I don't believe management will talk to you guys during this period of prosperity. Right now FEDEX is making more money than ever. A company under the Railroad Labor Act has absolutely no incentive on it's own to negotiate an amendment to a contract. NetJets just signed an amendment that had been amendable since 1998 just this year...8 years.

I can tell you what FEDEX is waiting for...they are waiting for a downturn in business so that they can tell your negotiating committee that they are in for some tough times ahead and would like to...but can't afford to give you those pay raises that they will agree you deserve.

Right now FEDEX is making so much money that even the best spin-doctors can't paint a cloudy picture in FEDEX's forseeable future.

If the skies don't ever go cloudy, when you finally do get a contract, you will get retro pay (don't vote yes without it) but FEDEX will have been using the CASH that they would have given you. The $1.00 you earn today will only cost FEDEX $.95 cents a year from now in todays dollars. 4000 pilots averaging $100,000 a year is $400,000,000. Let's assume that you negotiate a 10% across the board pay raise a year from now with back pay. FEDEX's additional cost would then be 40 million dollars. The intrest rate on treasuries right now (considered "risk free") is almost 5% and will probably reach 5% by summer. That means that if FEDEX doesn't have to pay you right now...they will make $2 million profit over the next year for just for holding the money in a US treasury account...this doesn't even count the cash they will keep from not having to pay benefits and taxes. This also assumes that FEDEX's return is the risk free rate. At current margins, FEDEX would have to generate 38.7 million dollars in revenue to make $2 million in profits through operations.

When times are good...Unions want to ammend contracts, companies want to delay.

When times are bad...Unions want to delay...companies want to ammend.

Good luck

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back