Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hair-on-Fire

This is huge.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...6101599779256.html?mod=WSJ_business_whatsNews

By MIKE ESTERL

The National Mediation Board overhauled a decades-old election rule to make it easier for airline and railway employees to unionize, in a sign that labor is getting a more favorable hearing at the federal agency under the Obama administration.
The rule change, which was published online Monday in the Federal Register, has been opposed by the airline and rail industries and could still face legal challenges. More than 570,000 workers are employed by railroads and airlines, more than two-thirds of whom already are unionized.
The overhaul would affect tens of thousands of workers at Delta Air Lines Inc., the world's largest airline, who are gearing up for unionization votes. Some smaller airlines with little or no unionization, including JetBlue Airways Corp., also could see organized labor get a larger foothold. Railways are more unionized, and would be less affected.
Under an interpretation of the Railway Labor Act dating to 1934, aviation and rail workers who don't vote on whether to form a union have been counted as "no'' votes. That means a union could not be approved without a full majority of employees voting yes.
Under the National Labor Relations Act governing other industries, a union can be created if a majority of all votes cast are in favor of collective bargaining. In such elections, nonvotes don't count.
The rule change by the NMB mandates that unionization votes for air and rail workers be tallied in the same manner as in other industries.
It comes after a White House appointment shifted the balance of the government agency's three-person board. Linda Puchala, a former flight attendant union leader, replaced Read Van de Water, a former Northwest Airlines lobbyist, last year. She joined Harry Hoglander, a former pilot union leader appointed in 2002.
The NMB regulates labor relations in aviation and rail.
Write to Mike Esterl at [email protected]

If this rule doesn't get overturned in the court system, I predict jetBlue will be unionized by the end of the year.

Not that I especially think they need it, and hope it doesn't sour their labor relations with management (one of the few holdout airlines that actually sounds like a FUN place to work WITH management), but as close as the last union vote was, I think this will tip the balance.

Will be interesting to see what happens at Allegiant, too.

If this rule doesn't get overturned in the court system, I predict jetBlue will be unionized by the end of the year.

Not that I especially think they need it, and hope it doesn't sour their labor relations with management (one of the few holdout airlines that actually sounds like a FUN place to work WITH management), but as close as the last union vote was, I think this will tip the balance.

I think you're right about JB. It seems like the ATA would want to fight this in the courts, but with most of the industry already unionized, I'm not sure how the legal battles will play out. Anyway.

Allegiant was looking at ALPA until M.G. gave them the JetBlue pay package in return for not joining up.

Allegiant was looking at ALPA until M.G. gave them the JetBlue pay package in return for not joining up.
Actually, that's not ENTIRELY accurate. Their pay fluctuates depending on company profitability on a per-quarter basis. Good for now, but when/if pay goes back to a lower scale, I'm betting the union people at Allegiant will come back out of the wood work.

If only that were true.
Have to admit, that's an outsider's perspective looking in. Everyone I know there at least "likes" their employer, and most "love" working there. My two senior 320 CA friends being the "like" category, since they've been working without COLA raises on the top end of the scale for a while now...

Still, it seems to beat the heck out of labor relations at most other airlines. You haven't seen "hostile" labor relations at JB yet... hope you won't.

Great news! Just one step closer to living in a no pain, organized labor, big government world.

Big govt. and big unions can make this country utopia just like Greece. Life is perfect there.:laugh:

Unions are a necessary evil in aviation for the vast majority of companies.

Sad, but true. The only thing that fixes this country is ethical behavior. Both by companies towards their employees, employees towards their companies, and people in general working for a living instead of living on entitlement programs.

I don't see that happening. We're headed down the same path as Greece, with or without unions, and I doubt there's anything we can do about it. Too many people with their hands out and too many CEO's and senior managers grabbing the majority of the pie for themselves.. I give it 15-20 years...

Latest resources

Back