Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

supsup

waiting
Many of the local CFI's are fed up with a certain FAA inspector. We (the instructors) have talked about writing a letter to formally complain about his attitude, lack of professionalism and overall rudeness toward applicants. I've heard from some of the older pilots in the area that he has received a fair amount of formal complaints in the past. What will it take to make him accountable for his actions? Has anyone ever heard of a inspector who was fired or demoted because of his behavior? Are there any other avenues that we can take as a group to send this guy packing?
Your opinions and insight are greatly appreciated.

supsup

call your senator or representitive. My old boss used to do this and the feds got scared to pi$$ him off.

FSDO

The FSDO is located in Lincoln, NE.

Ok its wasn't who I was thinking of. I would have about a hundred people who would want to take him out.

Several years ago an inspector caused me a great deal of grief and heartburn. After his actions were reviewed, relating to my situation, he was transferred to another FSDO far away. I did a little digging, and learned that three times in his career he had been punched and knocked down by pilots and mechanics because of his excessive behavior. He had several previous transfers, and I've little doubt that he won't see this one as his last in his career.

In any segment of the private sector, he'd have been fired long ago, and would have been sued. He's a classic example of a civil servant who is in his position because he couldn't have ever made it in the private sector. Sadly, he casts a shadow over all those who really try to do their job to the best of their ability. Looks like you found his brother.

There was an inspector in the FSDO I'm in a couple years back that fit that description. As I understand it there were so many complaints that he ended up getting promoted into a new position that didn't involve interacting with people. After about 6 months to a year he wanted to go back where he was and they "didn't have room" or whatever. He ended up quitting and now is "retired" and is instructing people how to beat the FAA!

Unfair fed

Maybe you and your colleagues could direct a joint letter of complaint to the region that oversees that particular FSDO. Here's a link to the Central Region of the FAA, which oversees Nebraska. The page has the address.

I appreciate TurboS7's comments, as I do all of his, but consider the position in which these CFIs have found themselves. This is their corner of the aviation world right now, and it is tough for CFIs to have to deal with unfair ASIs and DEs. Flight instructing is usually one's first flying job and the first opportunity to build a professional reputation. Therefore, new CFIs want to establish a reputation as being competent instructors to lay the groundwork as competent pilots and professionals. CFIs find themselves dealing with ASIs and examiners with great frequency and should not have to suffer consistently unfair and unprofessional examiners and feds.

One word of warning: Be sure that you know what you're talking about before you start complaining. FAA types have good memories. What goes around can come around. Good luck.

Last edited:
I was a little harsh. The point that I was trying to make was that simply once they become a line pilot with a 121 carrier you will not have to worry about the FAA too much. They occassionally ride the J/S and then they are more intereseted in geting somewhere than they are checking you. You get an FAA check on your initial captain check but after that enjoy it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back