Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tweaker

BOHICA
This question is for pilots for Fed Ex or UPS. Do you think it would improve my chances of eventually getting a job flying for them if I got a job elsewhere in the company while I am between flying jobs? I am considering looking for a job delivering packages or in the distribution centers. It pays well, and I think that if it would increase the odds of getting an interview later it would be worth it. I don't know any pilots for them, and I don't know how I ever will. Thanks for your suggestions.

Click here: FedEx internal hiring

The internal hire process has been explained on this board several times before - - I imagine you can pull up a few posts using search for "FedEx internal hiring". (In fact, Here's one .)The critical item to consider is the fifth bullet under FedEx Pilot Careers Qualifications, namely:
  • Recency and type of experience is considered
You've GOT to do something to keep flying, and the "what" and "how much" are not specified.

Tweaker,
I went to the AIRInc job seminar just over a week ago and had a chance to ask the very same question to the FedEx recruiters (Ms. Daniels). She was very nice and very friendly but the impression I got was “well, it’s a possibility but…” She emphasized the currency requirement and when I mentioned my idea of flying part time jobs and flight instructing as a way of staying current, she didn’t seem too excited about that. She did like my current flight experience and my “progression” and thought that if I had more “sponsors” (still working on it:) ) I‘d be very competitive. Maybe she was just trying to get me to keep working on my support network?

Everyone’s situation is different. In my case, I’m thinking about resigning from my current flying job in order to work as a package handler hoping for an interview. Well, maybe she just didn’t want me to replace a flying job with a hope for an interview? I wonder if the advice would have been the same if my resume said “furloughed?” I wish I’d asked but the line behind me was sooo long and I had already asked so many questions; didn’t want to push it.

I believe though that if I was a furloughed pilot this would’ve been the perfect thing to do. Especially if I had been laid off from a major airline, which I am not, this would’ve been an ideal job. For one, at FedEx this would have “erased” the status of being furloughed from another major airline. Also, it’d have given me a chance to learn more about the company culture, get to know people, etc.

Tweaker, I am not telling you to go for it or to forget it because I don’t know myself. I’m still not sure what to do and I keep exploring all the possibilities. I just wanted to share the info I got during the seminar. Also, do a search, lots of great advice from TonyC and other FedEx insiders on the program. Plz keep me posted on what you decide and I’ll do the same.

Good luck 2 u. av80r

As for UPS,
I hope I can explain this (from what I understand) and not sound too confusing. UPS likes it if you have other experience other than flying. (Especially throwing UPS boxes or delivering UPS boxes) They like to see that people have struggled or sacraficed to get where they are in life. That being said, I think if they know you got a job throwing boxes for the sole purpose of getting ahead for a flying position with them, they might not like it. Ive never heard anything official regarding this, but knowing what I know about the relationship between pilots and "others" in the company. (IMHO) It seems like they wouldnt like you using "their jobs" to get one of "our jobs." (us and them mentallity)

There is another side to this, Say you end up working for some boxhead punk who is you supervisor. He/she doesnt like you because he knows that one day you are going to be a pilot making 5 times his salary and he will still be a boxhead throwing packages and gives you bad evals or gets you fired... Then you will never get hired here...

This is a great place to be, however there is a large devide between the pilots/mechanics and anyone else that works here.

My advice (if you want it) focus on flying if flying is what you want to do as a career. Study everything about UPS/FedEx and know all you can about the company before you get the interview. If you have extra time, work on getting the interview (connections/LOR's/Etc)...

Again, this is speculation, Ive never heard anything official from UPS regarding this. I have met pilots here that use to throw boxes for UPS BEFORE they started flying, Ive never met any that got a job throwing boxes after they were a Professional pilot...

Good luck

BigbrownDC8

Last edited:
Tweaker,

I threw boxes for UPS while I was in college. During my interview I mentioned that very fact to the interviewers and they both said "we noticed that" so I suggest it might not hurt.

I do believe however that the best way to get aninterview here at UPS is to fly a lot, and get to know as many pilots as you can and more importantly a manager of some sort here at Big Brown. I think if you find a manager that is not a pilot might be best. If you get them to write you a letter it may give you an edge to get an interview. But throwing boxes wouldn't hurt. Just FYI getting a drivers job right away is very hard to do.

Getting a pilot recommendation is the single biggest hurdle to getting an interview at UPS.

You don't need a manager's recommendation (although it certainly would help), as when I was on probation I was able to get 2 guys interviews. And mine was their only referral.

If you have a UPS recommendation with good quality time (ex-military; left seat on a large jet; lots of left seat commuter time) or they liked you at an AIR Inc. conference, you stand a decent chance of getting called.

"Getting a pilot recommendation is the single biggest hurdle to getting an interview at UPS."

Nope...the biggest single hurdle to getting an interview at UPS is for us to start hiring again...hehe.

“I have met pilots here that use to throw boxes for UPS BEFORE they started flying, Ive never met any that got a job throwing boxes after they were a Professional pilot...” BIGBROWNDC8

“I threw boxes for UPS while I was in college.” BROWNTAILGUY

At the job fair I ran into a guy who’s now at Mesaba and who used to throw boxes for UPS (5 years). He said that he started working for UPS before he had any serious flight experience and then had to resign in order to build quality flight time. Apparently, once you resign you can never come back. That’s why he can never work there. Is that true? I’m confused. Browntailguy – did you have to resign your position in order to build flight time? Were there any repercussions for doing that? I guess not since you’re at UPS now?

Bigbrowndc8 – how did the pilots you’ve met who threw boxes BEFORE flying manage to build their flight experience? Did they have to resign their positions at UPS once the got hired at a regional?

Sorry about the many questions, this is pretty important subject to me and many others. Thanks for your help, av80r.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back