Fed Ex / UPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Me too

I also worked at UPS while in college and hope to rejoin the company as a pilot. I do have someone to write me a Lor and looking for some more to cheer me on. I hope 2005 will be a good year! :D

Ups

I was a commuter pilot/ checkairman and was fortunate to make the aquaintance of the director of ops wife. She asked if I had ever concidered employment with UPS. Needless to say...SHWINNGGG!. Application arrived in the mail within a week, interview within 2 weeks. Prepped my a$$ off, was not going to be denied. Long story short, went through the bs at the begining of the interview with the rest of the hopefuls, got to the one on one interview. and was instantly shot down. No talk of qualifications, experience, reasons for wanting the job, etc.... The fact that I had loaded semi trailers for them during two the holiday season when I was 18 and 19 years old constituted working for them before. It was explained to me in a very nasty tone that UPS does NOT hire those who have worked for them before and were arrogant enough to resign. There is (was) a line on the first page of the application, asking if you have ever worked there before. These people didn't even read my app. prior to calling me in for the interview (Or they wanted some cheap intertainment to break up the task of interviewing flight crews).
If you want to work at UPS, find out their current policy regarding prior employment with the company, and being eligible for employment as a flight crew member!...Good luck to all!

AV8OR,
I wish I knew the specifics about the guys who had the experience of throwing boxes. Truth be told, I dont even remember specifically who they are, I just remember talking with a few people who said they had thrown boxes in a previous life. This was a few years ago.

Again, My advice for UPS if you want it. Dont bother trying to backdoor an interview with this boxes idea. Fly your ass off, become as compitive as possible, learn everything about the company as you can and seek out a LOR that has some substance... Substance = (I hate to say it again), but usually its an ACP (Assistant Chief Pilot) Management guy (box head) or a Management Pilot in that order of significants. LORs from line guys doesnt go very far here, this place doesnt value us line pilots as an asset as much as they value their own (management). I may be wrong, but I dont think so.

Bigbrowndc8,

Thanks 4 your advice.

Also, are check airman, simulator instructors, etc. part of your “Management” or are they considered to be line pilots, (although with good seniority)? In other words, do you think a simulator instructor’s recommendation would be as valuable or more/less valuable than a line pilot’s. I know it’s all a guessing game, but maybe you have an idea on the subject?

Thanks again, av80r.

In my case, this is not simply a situation of quitting a flying job to try to backdoor a flying job. I have been terminated under questionable conditions from a regional Captain position. If you want to hear more about that, don't ask, see post in regional section. Long story short, I will not have a grievance hearing for 6-7 months. I am optimistic about getting re-instated, but I am not optimistic that US Airways will be in existance by that time. (8-9 months)

I am trying to A) find a job to pay the mortgage and keep my kids in underoos
and B) increase my chances to get a job at my ultimate goal airlines (FedEx/UPS)

Some of the posts scared me in regards to any perveived arrogance to resign and then try to work there again. I am going to have to make a decision about this job today or tommorrow.

Can anyone confirm or deny that the nepotisim policy has been dropped? I keep hearing different things on the matter.... Last I heard if your relative would not be in direct supervison of you, your good to go. (In my case, not even close, father works in Marketing at Corporate)

Thanks for any input.... And if any you UPS guys stop through CAE at night, come by and say hi to the guys on the Shorts! ;)

In regards to the original question, what if you threw boxes for UPS or (in my case) Fed Ex, whenyou were in college while working on your ratings over 5 years ago? Would this hold any weight at all when applying or would it not considering it was 5yrs ago?

Yes

Azaviator:

To repeat what the others from FedEx said: Yes, absolutely, positively it will help you at FedEx if you threw boxes earlier in life. How much help, who knows, but it does help some. I've flown with lots of guys who threw boxes in HS or college and the best part is they get to keep their original employee numbers so it appears that they are super senior. Very impressive at Yia Yia's I'm sure. Anyway, it can't hurt, so list it if you did it.

Good luck.

FJ

AZaviator said:
In regards to the original question, what if you threw boxes for UPS or (in my case) Fed Ex, whenyou were in college while working on your ratings over 5 years ago? Would this hold any weight at all when applying or would it not considering it was 5yrs ago?
AZaviator,
I threw boxes while I was a flight instructor. Left to go get some good quality flight time and then reapplied. I was able to get rec's from my supervisors when I was there previously in addition to pilot recs. This seemed to help and was discussed in my interview. Not saying that previous experience will guarantee anything, but I don't see how it could hurt.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back