• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fed EX or UPS question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I spoke to KD directly on this issue several months ago. A friend was considering a move to Cathay but maintaining a residence in the USA. Her reply, "Where will he be trained?" I replied, "Hong Kong". She said that his training outside of the USA would constitute being out of the country and residing in that other country during that time...thus kicking his five year clock back for a restart.....

If you want to fly boxes for FedEx - don't bail off to an international company. Fly for one of the USA based international freight carriers....you'll be much happier in the long run.

Wow, that sounds strange considering so many Fedex new hires go directly to Subic Bay?! Is it really about the “Ability to obtain clearance from United States Postal Service…”?

I know Fedex got the majority of postal flying but we fly lots of US mail too. Not criticizing, just saying that it sounds very confusing to me...

Nevertheless, no problem at UPS; in the last 12 months I was told we hired 9 pilots from Cathay (one of them commutes from Hong Kong (where he owns a condo) to ANC where he’s based. There were also pilots from JAL (of course I guess that's different since those guys are based in HNL) and I wanna some one who flew for a European or maybe Middle Eastern airline for many years? I’ll have to look that up.

I’d say the 747 job would help you a lot when it comes to UPS since there’s a transoceanic experience requirement – not to mention the 747 experience which would probably speed up your interview significantly (still need 1000 turbine PIC don’t leave your current job until you already have that – unless you’re planning on the pic time coming from the 747 flying but I must say 1 year upgrade sounds pretty suspicious).

Good luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back