• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Feb SWA Class???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All I do is go off to see the inlaws, and all ya’ll start talking about my logic. Now I know I was right when I told my interviewer that I wasn’t smart enough to get in the Air Force! AF brought up some very good and sound points, so my current poolie factor of 1.44 would be an average spread through the pool.
It seems fairly close for me as LL told me several weeks ago I’d have a shot at the 10th class, and 1.44 X 127 is about 182, or the 10th class. Note: My actual number is probably a bit higher than 182 (and as was mentioned earlier, that assumes incorrectly that all 110 unlisted poolies are spread evenly) because there are several poolies even on our list with the same interview date. I think maybe I just got on the poolie list first because I may have signed up first, but I bet at least a couple of the folks immediately behind me in our pool are ahead of me in the real pool.

Now as for those other 110 nameless folks: (It’s 110 based on the Dec 12th list - hopefully a new list will come out on January 7th!) I make a motion that any unlisted poolie that shows up for class in Dallas be barred from any alcohol consumption for the duration of the class. All in favor say “Aye”?

Let’s hope Duke and Dirty don’t know the same guy that signed up for a 5 year hitch. The more the merrier!

I'm not ragging on your math PT, just got to looking at the list and I calculated a factor of 2.4 x your poolie number equates to your actual number in the pool...so my figures more accurately resemble AF's math, however, I revert to your math when I'm feeling down.

I really don't think we will ever know what our actual number is unless the "phantom poolie's" show themselves.

RJ

When will it happen...???

IF you take your Flightinfo poolie # & multiply it by the average of AF's & W8N's factors,
take the result and divide that into the "known" SW PD "actual" poolie total of 360.5,
then divide that number into the total # of pilots currently at SWA (approx 4100),
multiply that by your weight in kilograms,
divided by your birthdate,
times LL's height in inches =

IT WILL HAPPEN WHEN IT HAPPENS!!!!?

HAPPY 2003!!!! I am looking forward to seeing "X" Poolies use the recently delivered Pool Rat towels as you (we) emerge from the sacred waters that we currently have the HONOR of tredding around in..... weather you are in the shallow end, deep end, or somewhere in between - it sure beats some of the "other" options currently available in your career path!:cool:

Love the debate - please continue as I am in need of some more stuff to read!!!!

Regards - Tred

Well actually, I figured the current age of my first child, added to the current age of my second child, multiplied by my age, divided by my wife's age, multiplied by the cost of the loss of my sons school math book, added to the cost of one bag of dog food, multiplied to the cost to fix my hockey skates, times the amount in the pool, divided by the amount of planes SWA has may be the actual number... Man, what's happening to me? It'll happen when it does, just be patient...right?

RJ:D

Repost of "Don't forget Heisenburg"

When calculating pilot crew ratios. Don't forget to account for the Heisenburg uncertainty principle which states "If you aren't certain what you are measuring, go ask the principle." But Heisenburg was a notorious bed wetter. So just multiply your figure by 3 because it is a prime number. Then post something larger than the pool factor distribution ration of 361. That way everyone will be happy when reading your post.

I ran into a SWA captain friend yesterday and he reported the interesting rumor that SWA may not retire all the -200s this year. Since there are not a lot of airlines buying used -200s right now, SWA may keep several, totally remod the cockpits, and keep them flying doing the Texas shuffle. If this turns out to be true, the net A/C gain this year may be more than 11.

Interesting rumor, but I'd be pretty surprised to see it happen. First of all, we never were scheduled to retire all the -200's this year -- that process will last a couple of years. On one of the web sites (either SWA internal or SWAPA -- don't think it's public) there is a list by tail # of when each jet will retire. It's based on when each one comes due for its next heavy mx check (i.e. big $). Fly it right up until it is due the big overhaul, then park it in the desert. I doubt that there ever was enough $ to be had from selling a timed-out old jet to get figured into the calculation... the jets have been depreciated to about zero a long time ago.

As far as keeping them around to do the Texas 2-step... they're cheap to operate because they're paid for, but they're gas hogs in a pretty big way. By the time you pay the cost of the mx check & the "remod cockpits," you could probably get a used -300 from somebody, but that isn't the plan at SWA either.

I've heard a couple of opinions lately that UAL may not be with us in a few months; if that happens, my guess is that SWA will see a significant "uptick" in its aircraft acquisition plans... we're making money, but not a lot at the moment, since there are fundamentally too many seats chasing too few pax right now. If a Chapter 7 BK eliminates a big chunk of those seats, the fares might get back to a level that allows some airlines to break even, and allows SWA to do significantly better than that.

Interesting time to be alive...

Snoopy

Happy New Year!!!

Just thought I'd throw some more excitement into the water!

Got a call from LL today --- I'm in the 6 Jan class! Apparently someone fell out (don't know why) and I was the lucky one to get the call! Don't know if I was the next one on the list or just the first person to actually answer the phone. Actually my wife answered the phone and said it was LL about a Jan class date. I said "Liar" you are just messing with me and went back to my backstroke. But she continued to argue with me as LL laughed in the background so I figured I should answer it... We should all realize that our wives wouldn't joke about something like this!

She didn't mention anything about Feb classes yet, but I would definitely assume that the Jan class is now full. Hopefully the calls for the Feb class will be coming shortly and I will update you with anything I find out next week!

Gotta go now... I've got about two days to get out of my swim trunks, put my stuff in a bag, and get to DAL! Best of luck to all of you!

McC

CONGRATS!
As a fellow early 2001 interviwee I KNOW how long the wait has been :)
Don't drink DAL dry before the rest of us get there
:)

CONGRATS!

McC,

What a way to start the new year. If you can, please keep us posted on any new development. Take care.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back