Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
-200 Info

To add to Snoopy's comments.

I flew with the guy who is in charge of the -200 program drawdown & here is what is happening with it.

1. 6 more to retire as planned at the end of the '03. Actual retirement dates are based upon when "D" checks are due on the aircraft. This is a very expensive mx check so SWA retires them just prior to the inspection. All occur in late '03.

2. 16 new -700s to arrive throughout the year. Net gain of 10 aircraft reported here before.

3. New news. The common statement made by many, "the -200s are paid for & are money makers" is being more thoroughly looked at. ALL associated costs are being looked at & it is already apparent the associated costs after further study is higher than many folks have released. It was simply a matter of looking at all variables, i.e. unscheduled mx costs, extended stays for regularly scheduled mx beyond the scheduled return dates was not being considered a delay by mx when it did in fact have a cost associated with it, retraining costs for keeping -200 folks current, etc. All of these were unaccounted for costs that hadn't been figured into to the mix. So the assumption is being challenged & once the bottom line is realized (it will take awhile for longterm data to be collected & analysized) a better assessment of how long the -200s SHOULD stay around will be made. Right now the last one goes in '05.

4. The assumption all -200s will end up in DAL is false. It maybe better to keep the remaining ones (when more have departed) in HOU.

5. Lots of meetings going on in HHQ right now. Speculation is that if UAL goes under or makes major cutbacks, hold on to your shorts....SWA will move & move quickly. Even though times are tough, proven routes in which we compete with UAL on will be subject to highly competitive moves. No details & while this isn't earth shattering since SWA has a history of this it is nice to know we aren't sitting still. The other nice factor to give this credence is we have all the elements in place to make it happen, i.e. training staff, ready pool of pilots (a big yell from the crowd is expected about now!), aircraft deliveries that can be sped up easily by Mr. Boeing.

6. Buying used aircraft will only likely happen if they are '700s most likely according to my sources but who knows.

Sorry I won't be at the party tomorrow night, I'll be flying. I will see the entire class at the training center on 24 Jan though, should be fun. Take care & drive safely!!!

more .02c ....

we've had strange gaps in the list before - classes where almost everyone was on our list and unfortunatly, the opposite. The "pool" factor technique probably works best for those farther down the list and will become less reliable as they move up. LL says I am "about" the fourth class at #55 so I'd guess that we are not missing an unreasonable number above me. 4 classes = 80 poolies, but she proably wouldn't say fourth class if it wasn't pretty solid so I guess I am actually about #70 giving us 15 people unaccounted for on the list - what is interesting is that about 10 of them appear to be in the first class.

Happy new year -
I hope all the reservists get to start before they gotta go to the desert!

SWA pool list update...

Just sent in the latest list dated Jan 4, 2003. I'll be glad to update again next week if we get more news from those in class about others who haven't updated their class date.

As PTinbound said earlier, those getting added to the list with the same pool date go after the current listed poolies (easier that way). This may not put us in the proper order so the correction factor may vary considerably from member to member.

Glad to hear some of you are getting class assignments. Keep up the good news!!

W8n4swa :cool:

Posted on another thread but... Got the call from LL friday via a phone message. Actually was out playing golf with a SWA captain. She invited me to Dallas in the 3 Feb class. Letting the air out of floaties as I speak. I left her a message saying I could be there and am gonna try to confirm on monday. Will see all in dallas!

Cheers
Ricinphx

A little late to post but I received a call from LL yesterday to see if I was interested in attending the February 3rd class. Most certainly a big YES and I look forward to meeting everyone.

RJ:D

And look how quick you changed your avtar, RJ!
Congrads!
I can't wait to get you out of OAK!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back