FE written, worth it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

superrav

I was wondoring if its worth taken the FE written...I'm currenty a CFI,II, MEI and was thinking about taking the written...I'm probably never going to take the practical, does the test expire just like the others after 24 months?

Superrav,

The test does expire after 24 months, UNLESS you are employed by a 121 carrier within that 2 years, in which case it does not expire.

I, like you, debated whether or not to take the written. I eventually decided to take it for two reasons:

1. Many major airlines still require it for minimum qualifications

2. It never hurts to be able to check one more box in the hiring process.

My advice : If you plan on being in a regional within the next two years and you plan on going to a major someday (don't forget about UPS and FedEx), then take it. It definitely can't hurt anything!

I'd take the ATP written first. Don't even bother with the FE written unless you are currently employed by a 121 carrier. Even then, I have heard some airlines want the FE written to be 24 month current - ouch!

Does any airline likely to do any hiring within the next couple of years even require an FE written? SWA, JB, and AS don't. Maybe some of the freight haulers do? Seems like a waste of money. I wouldn't want to have to mention it in an interview situation. Kinda like showing up at a JetBlue interview w/ a 737 type and no time in the airplane.
Can't go wrong with the ATP written though. That helps everywhere.
Save your FEX written money and invest in your favorite beverage.

I agree... skip the FE and take the ATP written and then get your ATP as soon as you meet the minimums...

You won't be needing an FE rating or written anytime soon...

FE written

I would the the FE written because it gives you something else to add to your bag of tricks, but unless you have a line on an FE job in the short term I wouldn't make it a priority.

You definitely should take the ATP written and plan on taking the practical at the moment you hit times, even if it must be on your own nickel.

Good luck with your plans.

I'd have to agree with the majority of the posters here. I've been working part 121 for over 3 years, and haven't yet taken the FE written, and don't plan to unless at some point an airline I would like to work for is hiring and requires it. I think all the major carriers who had required it have gotten rid of all their aircraft that require an FE (NWA might be the exception, I think they still have a few 727's left).

Otherwise, it is just a waste of time and money. Have you known many people who take these written tests and actually learn anything from them? People just grab the Gleim book or go to ALL-ATPs and regurgitate the memorized test questions and answers.

The F/E written is not much more than a "revised" ATP written. The questions are very simaliar. If you are going to study and are prepared to take the ATP, you should save the extra $70 dollars or so and do the F/E writtten at the same time.

It most certainly won't hurt you. And besides, it has a lot of 727 questions on it. If you don't have any large aircraft time, having the written will tell the interviewer that you atleast have some limited knowledge of a large airplane.

Latest resources

Back