• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FDX MD-11 New Hires to ANC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just heard this one.......LA to double in size!!! I heard it from a guy who lives in the O.C. That's what he told Jack he wants!

Jack said O.K.!

navyflyer said:
I gotta ask, does the company require you to live in ANC? Do guys commute from MEM? I would think that it would be an 'easy' commute from MEM to ANC to start your trips.

You can live any place you want, but life is a lot easier if you live up there. I've been based in ANC twice on the MD11 for two years each time and commuted from SE PA by using the EWR-ANC J/S most of the time. We have a nonstop flight to ANC almost every day from IND, EWR, ORD, MEM, OAK, SEA. The only flight that can be a problem is the MEM-ANC-MEM and even that one usually is no problem. Most departures out of ANC depart in the morning 8-10AM for Asia, to the lower 48 in the afternoon 2-4PM. There are a few exceptions, but this is the norm. You will have to commute in the day before, so if you have a trip to Asia on Friday you will have catch the J/S out of one of those above mentioned airports at around 3AM on Thursday. There have been some guys that come up the same morning for the afternoon departures which would be very dumb if one was on probation. The return home is a bit of a killer because you arrive in ANC from ASIA around 11:30AM, hang around for a few hours, and then J/S another 6-7 hours. It usually takes a couple of days for your body to catch up with where you are. When I could hold only reserve I found the commute easier because you usually did not finish that last Asia trip on your last reserve day. I usually sat around Anchorage for a few days before going home rested.

Anchorage is a great place to spend some time. I believe they still have a 3 hour reserve call out so you don't have to leave on a moments notice. Most of your flying will be in the MD11 international vs MEM where it will be MD10 domestic.

My advice is to move there if that is possible, commute if need be, and jump at the chance the MD11. Great airplane, fun flying, good people to work with.

Last edited:
Creamer said:
Goose,

Any mention what would happen to the training dates for those of us already on the current training letter, but with dates between Apr and Aug? Did the company find more training sites? Great news for all of us.

If I understand the question correctly, you don't have to worry about losing your slot. If you have a seat awarded from a previous bid when a new bid comes out, but yet to have trained, you are still going to training - before anyone from the new bid does. If the floodgates open and we switch into max throughput gear, your class date would likely move up.

I am currently in day 4 of Airbus class and I haven't heard any new rumors. We are in an information vacuum as usual.

Goose17

Re-Bid

Creamer said:
Any mention what would happen to the training dates for those of us already on the current training letter, but with dates between Apr and Aug? Did the company find more training sites? Great news for all of us.

Creamer,

I'm in the same boat with a summer MD trng date. I talked to CY who does the training letter. She says we still need to bid the MD11 (or what you bid last time) again in this upcoming bid and the trng letter is redone after every seat bid. So, in essence, they are not holding a slot for us if a new seat bid closes b4 you attend training. Hope that helps.

BTW-Anybody make sense out of JL's email last night? Kinda wierd!

Last edited:
I also here there are ANC-AFW (near DFW) flights four days a week now. Not sure if anything runs the other way. As the base grows I'm sure the flights will increase and will go more places in the lower 48. IMHO

Latest resources

Back