• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FDX MD-11 New Hires to ANC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My understanding of the commuting situation is that it is moderately to very competitive to get to ANC, especially from MEM. All of the fedex flights fill very quickly and non-revving up there is just as tough, especially through Seattle. Quite a few people I know do it, but it's tough. One guy jumps from BOS to EWR, then picks up an MD11 to ANC. Told me he loses at least 2 days on either end of a trip.

navyflyer said:
I gotta ask, does the company require you to live in ANC? Do guys commute from MEM? I would think that it would be an 'easy' commute from MEM to ANC to start your trips.

I guess that depends on what your idea of easy is. MEM-ANC is a 6+ hour flight, along with a 3 hour time change. All to start what is more than likely an international trip. Doesn't sound like fun to me. I know there are guys that do it, to each his own I guess. No, the company does not require you to live in domicile.

Goose,

Any mention what would happen to the training dates for those of us already on the current training letter, but with dates between Apr and Aug? Did the company find more training sites? Great news for all of us.

Thanks for the replies. I know it would not be an easy commute, but, I can't move at this point (my wife is in the middle of grad school) and would like to stay put here, she's almost done.
If based out of ANC, considering the 'forecasted' growth of FDX, would it be 'easier' to get based out of MEM sooner rather than later? I think the MOAB may keep ANC new hires in ANC for some time. I know it's all speculation, but, I got nothing else to do right now.

Just curious..

Is it possible to move your reserve days, so that you can have one or two long stretches to help cut down the number of times you have to commute?

Thanks in advance!

XJguy said:
Just curious..

Is it possible to move your reserve days, so that you can have one or two long stretches to help cut down the number of times you have to commute?

Thanks in advance!

Some reserve lines are already built that way, one long stretch. Yes, you can sometimes move R days. No, you can not move R days to create your own long string of R days, FAR legality reasons.

ANC Commutability

Poolies,

I took a buddy who is in the pool thru the ANC MD11 bidpack and showed him the FO line awards over the last 6 months. To be honest, for a very junior MD FO it didn't look that commutable, which surprised me. There were a fair amount of what we call "trash lines"....choppy line construction of 3, 4, 5 day trips. Big block reserve lines go a little senior (not just in the summer). Some of the secondary lines were pretty good with long far east trips. Didn't see a ton of frontend and backend deadheads (airline tickets) in the pairings so your commutes to ANC would be primarily in Fedex jumpseats.

Obviously, if the company says ANC or no job....you go to ANC and hope for the best. I know there are folks who do it, you just might want to go into it knowing that the commute may be a bear (no pun intended) and your time away from home might be pretty high for a while.

My gut feel and the rumor going around the training bldg is that there will be MD11 MEM and A300 MEM FO seats offerred to new hires too over the coming months. Hopefully, as a poolie you'll have some options. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies!

For the record: I am REALLY EXCITED to have the opportunity to work with all you guys/gals at FedEx. I don't care if I'm in MEM, ANC, or Subic, 727 or MD11, or WHATEVER.... I'm just happy to have this opportunity!

I heard the good news last week and I'm still celebrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XJGuy

:beer:

Latest resources

Back