FDX CP Letter on hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

switchbiatch

Letter was posted by J. Lewis that FDX will be looking to hire soon and posted the names of those in the pool. So iy looks like something will be happening soon. Would have posted the letter but already deleted it. Maybe someone else will. Anyway good news for those guys and for me, hopefully I will be used less in the future on reserve.

WAIT

I agree 100% with USNFDX, the letter should NOT be posted!

Letters posted by the CP are for crewmembers on property only. You may comment or summarize what the letter was about but use caution.

I appreciate the flow of information from the top and keeping us (FDX pilots) in the loop. I surely do not want to jeopardize that simply for fodder and gossip purposes. IMHO, I'll stop ranting now.

I will say the news was promising for the poolies so pack your bags and get ready to give notice to whom ever you are working for. I predict you'll be on property in the next 90 days. See ya soon!

Last edited:
Do not cut and paste that letter

I agree, don't post the letter. I logged on to the company website, read that letter, and thought "I wonder who is going to be the one to put that on Flightinfo". Then I started wondering how to nicely get them to remove it before to many people saw it, including any CP's that are most certainly lurking about. That is not for public viewing. If you don't know why, well, maybe someone will explain it to you someday. I also don't want the info lines cutoff.

On a bright note for the poolies, though. It did sound positive and like something would be happening soon. Don't forget the old new hire tradition: while you are still the newest class, someone in your class has to help me carry my bags out to the plane. Ahhhh, traditions. See ya's soon.

Don't forget the old new hire tradition: while you are still the newest class, someone in your class has to help me carry my bags out to the plane.

What is that a military tradition?

Poolie Recomendation

Word Im getting is that they are looking for recomendations on the poolies? And have gone as far as to ask for "goods and others" on each.

Just wondering if this can be confirmed.

sounds like the ball is rolling

kid

True

That was mentioned in the letter. As most know... inside recommendations (and "other" comments) are weighed most heavily at FedEx.

I'll never forget when I interviewed back in '01 what happened. There were 8 of us interviewing those two days (4 mil, 4 civ) and I tried to guess if we would all make it through or who would get cut. The most qualified guy, on paper (Military, Miramar, Blue Angel, etc, etc), was the only one that did NOT make it. Apparently he had stepped on some toes along the way and basically got black balled by some other pilots already on property.

The aviation community is a small one, respect to others...always.

Re: WAIT

PurpleTail said:
I agree 100% with USNFDX, the letter should NOT be posted!

Letters posted by the CP are for crewmembers on property only. You may comment or summarize what the letter was about but use caution.

I appreciate the flow of information from the top and keeping us (FDX pilots) in the loop. I surely do not want to jeopardize that simply for fodder and gossip purposes. IMHO, I'll stop ranting now.

I will say the news was promising for the poolies so pack your bags and get ready to give notice to whom ever you are working for. I predict you'll be on property in the next 90 days. See ya soon!
"Pack your bags" and "you'll be on the property in the next 90 days" are exactly the types of "fodder and gossip" you decried. What's the harm in sharing facts?

The only part of the letter that I see that qualifies as, as he said, "secret" is the names of the 69 individuals that are either "in the pool" or are, again as he said, "coming in for interviews."

Good news:

He says we're going to have to hire some pilots in the next few months.

Interviews are going to be conducted (that confirms a rumor that has circulated here recently).

Website will be open soon for updates AND new applications. (I know, the website has said "soon" since September, it said "September" in August, but this is the CP saying it now.)

Bad News: (at least as I see it)

"There is nothing that says that once you are in the pool, you are a guaranteed hire." (Again confirming, in part, a nasty rumor that has circulated here recently.)

Still not interviewing furloughed guys from anyone but US Airways, unless they are employed by FedEx or fly for another airline.

If anyone can persuade me that anything I have said in this post compromises proprietary information, please PM me -- I'll take it under advisement, and edit accordingly.

OH, by the way. If your name is on this list of poolies and potential interviewees, send me a large check and your SSAN and I'll write you a REC. :)

Poolies,

If you are in the pool and your initials are J.M. please PM me. I saw your name on the list and didn't realize you were trying to come to FedEx. I'd be happy to give you a recommendation.

poolies should relax

The legal releases from FedEx has always said a pilot in the pool is not guaranteed a job. This is exactly what was printed on my "welcome to the pilot pool letter" back in 01'. FedEx has always stated this and makes it overtly known that poolies have no guarantee. That being said, you really ARE guaranteed a job. When I first got the letter, I, as well as every other poolie called the hiring department and said - "What gives?". They assured me I would have a job when FedEx resumed hiring, it was just a matter of when. Keep in mind, I think it is the lawyers that have a hand in the "Welcome to the pilot pool" letter.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. FedEx has ALWAYS honored their pilot pool (PERIOD!). You have passed all their screening, but they are not hiring at the current time. You WILL be hired when hiring resumes (PERIOD!). You will not get this in print because of said lawyers.

In my particular case, with only a "Welcome to the pilot pool" letter, I packed up a very pregnant wife, a 1 year old son, 2 dogs and our goods and moved to Memphis. This was BEFORE I was even hired. I had total confidence the company would honor their word and guess what? They did!

If you are in the pool, you are hired, just not paid yet (unfortunately). There is no other "reinterview. Sure the company might make sure you have not been convicted of murder since the interview, but otherwise, welcome aboard.

Spam glad to see ya!

Goose17

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back