FDX 2003 hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gumbydammit

Last I heard, FDX was only hiring 100-150 for 2003...I am now consistently hearing 250-300 due to a shortage of captains...anyone know anything more concrete?

Where did you hear that? I've only heard 150 or so due to attrition.

NightFlyer

I had a couple friends who just completed training...I had heard the 150 number, too, but have heard the 250-300 number more recently as in the past week or so.

Wait and see...

If you want a good rumor chew on this for a while...

Its no secret that the USPS loves the job FedEx is doing moving the domestic mail around after the first year of the seven year contract. They like it so much that "supposely" FedEx will be getting the international mail contract as well very soon. Be looking for some kind of "official" announcement in the next 30 +/- days or so.

So what does this mean?? We currently do not have enough lift to support such a job so more wide bodies are on the way. Hiring?? The numbers submitted to the company by training IF we were to get the contract would be an additional 800 pilots on the low side and 1200 on the high side.

Unfortunately I do not know WHEN we would get it or when it would go into effect. **A little side note** In the last 2 months there have been 8 new S/O Line Check Airmen hired for the Boeing and 4 more on the way before the end of the year. It seems like training is getting geared up for something??

AGAIN, ONLY A RUMOR...so lets keep our fingers crossed.

Just to help the unsubstantiated rumor mill along. The MD11 department has had 2 postings for flex guys in the past 6 months. MAYBE they didn't get enough on the first go around OR MAYBE they need instructors for the extra 250 or so crews they need in the MadDog to fly those extra 30 aircraft we're getting to do this supposed international mail contract. Oh yeah, and don't forget the dry leasing of Polar's 747's.

Love the stuff you hear at 0200 in the AOC. I hope you're right though.

VaB-

I heard 10 more wide bodies on the way today, not 30 but who knows.

FYI, when FedEx got the domestic contract no extra lift (airplanes) were really added to meet the need, just another 500 pilots to fly the airplanes during the day. I think the same goes for the International contract, alot more pilots and just a little more lift.

Hoping for that Jan bid.....Merry Christmas!

It would be awesome, no doubt. However I won't be throwing high fives around until something official comes out. Like most everybody, I have been hearing this rumor off & on since about a year ago, and as recently as a couple of months ago I've heard both "it's a done deal" as well as "no way it will ever happen." I guess the buzz phrase "cautiously optimistic" applies here. In the meantime I'll count on 150 and everything else is gravy.

Something else to spool up the rumor mill, I've heard a lot of Captains talking about retiring early: 1) Because they won't really lose that much now leaving early, and 2) Some want to leave before the 2004 contract "hits the fan." Talk is one thing, whether a significant number will actually follow through is another.

NOW I'M REALLY CONFUSED
Why would anyone retire BEFORE the contract?!?
Even though everyone else is hurting, FDX is doing great AND your pay rates are still below IAP...the contract can only HELP guys' retirements...am I missing something? Won't your medical benefits from 60-65 get better? I would think with ALPA representation, your contract would be better, not worse...

Here is an attempt to answer that: I was talking to a budy of mine a few months ago......a very senior MD-11 Capt (1974 hire date). He is about 53 years old. I would guess he has a nice stash tucked away. He was saying he might punch out when this contract stuff starts. He and alot of his friends built this company from the falcons up. People are saying that it might get ugly around here. The last thing these guys want to do is get into an ugly battle and possibly destroy the company they built. These guys have alot of feelings about this place and they do not want to hurt FedEx.

A second theory is this: I have seen a graph that depicts life expectancy vs. retirement age for people that work the graveyard shift. I don't remember the exact numbers but here are some approximates. A guy who retires at 55 is expected to die about 30 years later. At 60 that number dropes into the mid 70's and at 63 that number is about 68. After I saw that graph......I want to retire at 55 so I can maximize my retirement and my life!

SF3CA
(now 727FE)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back