• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FDX 2003 hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The way the game of politics is played its hard to tell the good guys from the bad guys.

Please don't think I'm criticizing Senator Warner. I'm not. This subject just reminds me of what I think of politics. Writing your congressman is all well and good, but it won't matter if they don't pay attention.

We should always, I repeat ALWAYS, vote people of the highest character into office. It's virtually impossible to get an idea of what is really happening behind closed doors until it's too late. Politicians change positions and make deals to get the job done, but their character will manifest itself throughout. That's why I want the best to lead the country. I won't vote for anyone with poor ethics, no matter what their platform.

Alright, I'm off my soap box.

I don't have an informed opinion on this legislation or Senator Warner. I hope both are best for the country.

I'm probably preaching to choir...If so, please forgive.

Can't confirm but "browntail" posted on the Aviation Message Board-General that the age 63 rider was removed from the Homeland Security Bill because of objections from a number of senators. Anyone heard or seen the same info?

As of a month ago when I got the letter, it was still there. Wow, that would be great if it is true...maybe lots of people writing their reps actually can have an impact, better yet, maybe there are some honest and smart politicians out there...naaah.

I also hope it was thrown out. I think we will have to stay on top of this one in the future. I really dont believe that ALPA has a dog in this fight. ALPA is interested in the bottom line as well as in Its members best interest. In this case I dont think they would be too upset at getting dues off of age 60-63 widebody Captain vs 1-3 year pilots. Its all about money and politics.

If you want to read what is and isn't included in the Homeland Security Act, go to either the House or Senate website (house.gov or senate.gov) and look for the bill online. I cannot find any mention of the Age 63 rider, only that the armed pilot section now states "passenger" airline pilots. Cheers.

Sleepy

ouch, my head!

I spent way too much time researching this. Here's what I found: Senator MURKOWSKI (of Alaska) tried to attach an amendment to HR 5005, just as he tried last year with S 1447. He failed, and (good or bad) here is the senate record of his failed attempt:

SA 4829. Mr. MURKOWSKI submitted an amendment intended to be proposed to amendment SA 4738 proposed by Mr. GRAMM (for himself, Mr. MILLER, Mr. MCCONNELL, Mr. THOMPSON, Mr. STEVENS, Mr. HAGEL Mr. HUTCHINSON, and Mr. BUNNING) to the amendment SA 4471 proposed by Mr. LIEBERMAN to the bill H.R. 5005, to establish the Department of Homeland Security, and for other purposes; which was ordered to lie on the table; as follows:
At the appropriate place, insert the following:
SEC. __. AGE AND OTHER LIMITATIONS.
(a) GENERAL.--Notwithstanding any other provision of law, beginning on the date that is 6 months after the date of enactment of this Act--
(1) section 121.383(c) of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations, shall not apply;
(2) no certificate holder may use the services of any person as a pilot on an airplane engaged in operations under part 121 of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations, if that person is 63 years of age or older; and
(3) no person may serve as a pilot on an airplane engaged in operations under part 121 of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations, if that person is 63 years of age or older.
(b) CERTIFICATE HOLDER.--For purposes of this section, the term ``certificate holder'' means a holder of a certificate to operate as an air carrier or commercial operator issued by the Federal Aviation Administration.
(c) RESERVATION OF SAFETY AUTHORITY.--Nothing in this section is intended to change the authority of the Federal Aviation Administration to take steps to ensure the safety of air transportation operations involving a pilot who has reached the age of 60, including its authority--
(1) to require such a pilot to undergo additional or more stringent medical, cognitive, or proficiency testing in order to retain certification; or
(2) to establish crew pairing standards for crews with such a pilot.

If you are interested, I can post the senate debate for and against.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back