Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Oh-ryan

Occasional User
For my money, it don't get better than the Chicken Tetrazini... especially if you get a strawberry shake with it.

Gotta stay away from the "Country Captain Chicken" though. Not only does it taste like a blend of vomit and kitty litter, but who the heck is this "Country Captain" anyway?

Chili Mac with all the mini bottles of tabisco you can find - oh yeah now that's good eats (unless you can go to the stubbe for some jagerschnitzel and several kristal weizens)

This will date me as I haven's ate MRE's since my days in the Corps (other than survival school), but my favorite was the mid 1990's Pork w rice in barbecue sauce. . . . mmmmmmmm

I broke a tooth in '88 on a Maple Nut Cake. So that "side dish" loses points right there.

The chicken a la king was inedible if you couldn't heat it.

Chili mac is decent, but is depressing to eat before 0700.

Tuna with noodles and the chocolate chip nut cake would start a fight back in 91. It was good hot or cold, especially with tabasco. The chocolate nut cake was much better than the maple one Occam alluded to...

I went 40+ days without anything to eat but MREs during the Gulf War. I've long since lost those brain cells, but I used to be able to tell you what every meal in the case was and what each one contained.

What they DO all contain is a lot of calories--they are designed for infantry on the march. They are fat pills for anyone else who is just sitting around... Rumor at the time was the were all laced with saltpeter to reduce everyone' libido, but I always suspected that was a just a fine Army urban legend.

Navy people actually eat MRE's?

Only after a long day of bashing skulls.

Albie,
40 days of eating MRE's?!?!? You could have probably built a hardened air shelter for your plane just by harvesting all the rock-hard dumps you guys must have taken during that time.

Last edited:
In the mid 80's they made BBQ beef slices, that although a solid meal at Ranger School, gave most folks crew served type heart burn - nasty. I heard an RI once call it "bouncing beef slices."

Agree with the Pork and Rice as a favorite. Always traded for maple nut cake if I wasn't able to get an MRE it typically was in (circa 1990's). In my infantry unit at the time it was forbidden to search through a box to make a selection. We were on the lottery system; couldn't look, just grab one and move out.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back