• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Favorite AFN commercial

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys have some great facilities but also some queer rules. No offense.

None taken

Another

In addition to the "Posture Police" another AFN ad was the "Nutrition Patrol." I'm gagging just remembering these commercials.

"3. So the dumb*ss Msgts who deploy once in the war to get their bronze star for running the Services Tent can see us to scream at us for wearing out-of-reg black fleece jackets"

Every winter is an effing battle to get those things approved for wear, which is nice because they are awesome on those cold and lonely Kerplakistan nights.

Wearing reflective belts around the base in a war zone is the most ridiculous thing I ever saw. I think the Air Force started that. You guys have some great facilities but also some queer rules. No offense.

LSA Anaconda (which is an Army run base, with Army rules) houses Balad AB. The AF falls under Army rules while operating at Balad. The reflective belt rule is imposed by the Army and applies to everyone (Army, AF, KBR, contractors, civilians, etc) who is at the base. There is an exception for AF members wearing AF PT gear now, which has reflective material in it. Truly, there's not much of a threat at Balad from snipers/enemy activity where the wear of a reflective belt would put you in any greater degree of danger. You really do stand a bigger chance of being hit by a bus than a mortar. I actually would've come pretty close to running over an army guy recently had he not been wearing the belt. The rule sounds kind of dumb on the surface, but it's not bad. I've seen people waste a ton of time and energy on fighting the system when it comes to reflective belts, floppy caps, nametags, black fleece jackets, the two piece flight suit, the electronic mission planning folder, etc etc etc and the result is always the same. It's much easier to take the pill, wear the belt, find another jacket, and focus on flying the mission. Just b/c someone else's focus isn't always on the mission doesn't mean yours can't be. I always counseled my crew to save the complaints for the important stuff that we can change, not the little crap that really doesn't matter. Cry "wolf" too many times and the powers that be stop listening altogether.

Deuce = "Company Man"

Un-oh you sound like a certain Captain @ Kadena who was always accused of being a brown-nose to achieve promotion who actually had secret plans to decline promotion and punch-out. That guy was a tool!

You kiss-a$$!!

Wearing reflective belts around the base in a war zone is the most ridiculous thing I ever saw. I think the Air Force started that. You guys have some great facilities but also some queer rules. No offense.
Fins, it's not the most ridiculous thing that occurs in the USAF,... but it ranks up there. You're right: we do some stuff really well, and some other stuff has me scratching my noggin'.... No offense taken. The truth hurts only when it should.

My fav AFN commerical is the one that looks like a 6 year old drew it only using brown and black crayons, with the creepy sound track to go along with it. Its makes me change the channel everytime.

I never saw any contractors wearing reflective belts when I was over there. Not really much you can do to those guys. I can see 1LT Shmuckatelli telling a truck driver to put his reflective belt on. That would be hysterical.

I made it to the ripe of old of 36 without wearing a reflective belt at night. I'm not worried about getting run over, especially on a base where the speed limits are all 25 MPH. Maybe it should also be law in major U.S. cities to wear the belt at night.

We're hijacking the thread a little but I can't help it. I always hated the reflective belt thing.

LSA Anaconda (which is an Army run base, with Army rules) houses Balad AB. The AF falls under Army rules while operating at Balad. The reflective belt rule is imposed by the Army and applies to everyone (Army, AF, KBR, contractors, civilians, etc) who is at the base. There is an exception for AF members wearing AF PT gear now, which has reflective material in it. Truly, there's not much of a threat at Balad from snipers/enemy activity where the wear of a reflective belt would put you in any greater degree of danger. You really do stand a bigger chance of being hit by a bus than a mortar. I actually would've come pretty close to running over an army guy recently had he not been wearing the belt. The rule sounds kind of dumb on the surface, but it's not bad. I've seen people waste a ton of time and energy on fighting the system when it comes to reflective belts, floppy caps, nametags, black fleece jackets, the two piece flight suit, the electronic mission planning folder, etc etc etc and the result is always the same. It's much easier to take the pill, wear the belt, find another jacket, and focus on flying the mission. Just b/c someone else's focus isn't always on the mission doesn't mean yours can't be. I always counseled my crew to save the complaints for the important stuff that we can change, not the little crap that really doesn't matter. Cry "wolf" too many times and the powers that be stop listening altogether.

They need an AFN commercial telling us normal folks NOT to go to the commissary on the 1st and 15th. I forgot that rule twice in my life...and bitched myself out both times after the fact.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back