Fatigue Research

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mercury

Got a new research project at work regarding sleep cycles, circadian rhythm and the effects of fatigue and CFS. I know there is a ton of info out there in cyberspace, but I was hoping that maybe some one could point me in a specific direction. any links, suggestions or other info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Here you go:

http://human-factors.arc.nasa.gov/zteam/

Click on "publications" on the left side of the screen, and you can overdose on the pubs that they have available online. The "Crew Factors in Flight Operations" series is excellent - there are about 13 of them in the whole series, with number XIII being the one that specifically focuses on corporate aviation.

Enjoy!:D

Also, if you're looking for a great book on the topic, go buy Fatigue in Aviation by Caldwell & Caldwell (Ashgate is the publisher, www.ashgate.com, they publish some cutting-edge books on aviation human factors and related topics).

Great book, published relatively recently with some of the latest and greatest research. It's not really an academic egghead type research book, but more oriented towards real-world flight operations and helping real-world pilots understand and cope with the issues at hand.

There is also software on the market that tracks circadian rhythms and time zones for crews...I have heard of some departments using this.

dont know the name off the top of my head, I will look.

good luck with the project, let us know how it goes. Fatigue is a hot topic in our business as the legs are getting longer and longer and the layovers shorter and shorter.

Business moves too fast these days.

:)

Last edited:
Wang & G200,
Thanks for the replies. I'll definately check out both sources. Should be an interesting project.

fatigue

Merc,

Send me a PM. I have a great PPoint from one of the leaders in fatigue research. I've used it at safety meetings. Also have some additional gouge.

Hog

Here is a pretty good one done for the B2 pilots out of Whiteman and covered by the Washington Post. It discusses pilots and their sleep, fatigue, etc during the round trip non-stops between Western Missouri and Yugoslavia during bombing runs. An $8 lawn chair from Wal-Mart was a "must have" for these types of missions. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.unc.edu/~chaos1/documents/b2.html

Thanks again to everyone for the quick replies. Looks like I will have more than enough "light reading" to keep me busy the next couple of weeks. I really appreciate all your guidance.

Latest resources

Back