Fatigue at CAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

densoo

How many inflight heart attacks this year?

Taxi incidents.

90+ hours a month hard flying, not rigged.

Now this....

Israeli air force jets scramble toward Continental Air flight

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel air force fighter planes scrambled Wednesday to intercept a U.S. airliner after it lost communications with air controllers, security officials said.
The Continental passenger plane was flying in from the U.S. when it lost contact. Following anti-terror procedures, two Israeli warplanes intercepted the plane and guided it back over the Mediterranean Sea until communications were restored, Channel 10 TV reported.
When it was determined that there were no problems on board and the pilot was in control, the plane was allowed to hand at Israel's international airport, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the incident.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: Israeli Air Force
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

When is the company going realize that something has got to give.

Not to mention not having 121.5 up on number two. Maybe the 777 crowd could spend a little less time complaining about how new-hires don't belong in their IRO seats and a little more time focusing on basic airmanship.

When is the company going realize that something has got to give.

Our airmanship is in our own hands, not the company.

I agree with you that something has got to give, but we cannot afford to make these kind of mistakes, period. If PBS has us so fatigued that we are almost getting shot down, then we better start calling in fatigued.

Personally, I think the onus lies on us here. This is our wake up call. Are you going to point fingers at CAL or start looking at your own discipline?

Cheers.

I think the Israelis scramble the 16's without calling you on guard. The check in call is to the air force, not the approach controller. I've heard of people checking in as Charlie Alpha Lima 90 (i.e. CAL90) and they (israelis) didn't question it, they just sent up someone to investigate (with missiles). I guess the moral of the story is, don't try to be cute, don't get lazy; cause they don't f&*k around over there!

Not to mention not having 121.5 up on number two. Maybe the 777 crowd could spend a little less time complaining about how new-hires don't belong in their IRO seats and a little more time focusing on basic airmanship.

Basic airmanship. One of your 737s crossed 17R in DFW the other day without permission. Ground was screaming at them to turn left and not taxi across 17C.

Anyway after the 4 or 5th set of taxi instructions they figured what to do. I know new airports can be confusing, but these two were out to lunch. Maybe fatigue was the issue.

Loco

90 hours a month every month wears on you. No matter what you fly!

90 hours a month every month wears on you. No matter what you fly!

I agree, but are we going to sit around and bitch about it, or start looking at our individual airmanship and what measures we can take to prevent these kinds of stupid mistakes.

LocoPiloto, Wow, American never had a runway incursion? ;)

How long have you been at CAL again? Do you have any experience in CAL 777 flight operations? Why don't you wait till the facts of this incident come out before you hustle to analyze it based on your few months of line flying at CAL...

Last edited:
No disrespect toward the CAL guys, but this string reminded me that two weeks ago, while on about a 10 mile final to 27L in ATL, we had a CAL 737 (who was supposed to be landing on 28) drift all the way over our final, just 500 feet above us, and I mean directly above us. Very ugly. . . . We got an RA, don't know why he didn't react . . . . we told tower we had an RA and were descending. . . . .

I just dropped the gear and stayed clear of him until the 28 controller must have woken him up. They were on a different frequency, but I'm sure a phone number was given.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back