FAs & Seatbelts & Seats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Spooky 1 said:
I'm amazed to hear from a SWA flight attendant as if there was ever an airline that seems to gloss over the seat back issue, SWA is it.
I assume your point is that in your experience SWA Flight Attendants have been lax in enforcing the FAR requiring all seats be upgright and locked for taxi, takeoff and landing. As both a working and commuter Flight Attendant, I have not personally observed such a trend.

I enforce the FAR, the people I fly with enforce the FAR. However, sometimes the passengers flat out ignore us but what can we do??...we have responsibility with no authority to back it up.

Imagine a cop having to hit the streets and his only method of law enforcement is to say "Pretty Please" and when that doesn't work using..."Because I said so" as a recourse.

If we report a pax who fails to comply to the CA and have them removed we are branded as overreacting maniacs who are just on a power trip. If we don't force the pax to comply we're ignoring the rules and slacking off on the job. We can't win.

We can inform, we cannot however enforce. It sucks but hey, that's the job. If you see Flight Attendants failing to secure the cabin...feel free to speak up. The slackers make us all look bad.

Last edited:
SWAInflt said:
I assume your point is that in your experience SWA Flight Attendants have been lax in enforcing the FAR requiring all seats be upgright and locked to taxi, takeoff and landing. As both a working and commuter Flight Attendant, I have not personally observed such a trend.

I enforce the FAR, the people I fly with enforce the FAR. However, sometimes the passengers flat out ignore us but what can we do??...we have responsibility with no authority to back it up.

Imagine a cop having to hit the streets and his only method of law enforcement is to say "Pretty Please" and when that doesn't work using..."Because I said so" as a recourse. We can inform, we cannot however enforce. It sucks but hey, that's the job. If you see Flight Attendants failing to secure the cabin...feel free to speak up. The slackers make us all look bad.

Your reply is well taken. Thanks!

I'm sure the FAA can impose personal fines if the want, but has anyone ever heard of someone getting a personal fine? They might fine the company, and the company will pay a greatly reduced fine and promise to fix the problem.

As far as fining a company in to BK, if that were to happen (BK by fines alone), it would have to be the most dangerous airline in history.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back