Family life

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Family Life

Any of you Regional Guys want to send your kids over to my house to do some yard work? I'll pay'em $10.00 for all day. If you want a piece of the action, you can demand 2% from them for doing nothing. Ha, kind a like ALPA..... Oh I crack myself up sometimes

I've found it useful to have a good handy-man or (VERY) trusted friend commit to being willing to let her call if there's a fire that needs putting out while I'm gone. It's great to know that someone is there when the sink starts to leak or a tire goes flat. When small problems don't escalate, she's a lot less likely to feel abandoned while you're on a trip.

Be careful though- sometimes you can trust a guy with your life but not your money or your wife!

I dont think any pilots were on their death bed wishing they had spent more time in the air or flown a bigger plane.

But i am sure there have been many who wished they had spent more time with their familes.

<Looking at ALPA mag mug shot.>

DuaneWorthless: Your avatar looks more like Dr. Phil than DW.

scottn2flying said:
Any advice on balancing a career in aviation and a family. Such as how do you seperate the two or give both priority without hurting the other?

No advice about balancing a career and a family, but only this tidbit that I learned the hard way:
If you're gonna pee in the kitchen sink, make sure the dirty dishes aren't sitting in there. And don't try explaining that there dirty anyway. She won't care.

Any job that involves leaving home for any length of time is hard on everyone. We are basically doing shift work....we just don't know what shift we'll be doing until 10 days ahead of the month. We don't know when the shift will end due to delays, cancellations and weather. Some of us don't even know when our shift will start from day to day or how long it will last. We can't even pick up the phone on days off withour risking some kind of company intrusion into our personal lives and time. All this can be managed but it's not always easy. It comes with the territory. It's a shame we have to lie to our employers about having had a drink or not feeling well on our days off when we really just want to go out to dinner with our wives or play with the kids. Airlines and corporations with airplanes like to think they own you. If you're not careful they will.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back