• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Falcon 50EX Engine Failure at V1 Scenario

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FWIW, about the only way you're going to get a 50 to accelerate on one engine is in a descent. That's the reason that we're told that once we get below 1000' AGL on one engine we're committed to land. The assumption that in case of a go around you're going to give up 500' of altitude in order to accelerate to climb speed. That gives you a 500' buffer - not a lot. I guess that if you were able to head out across the water in ground effect you might be able to get the speed to build up to the point where you could get a climb going. Bottom line, it's going to take a bunch of luck and some pretty fancy flying.

Well someone better. I don't think it is going to run indefinitely at max power and then you are coming down wherever you happen to be.

If you are over the water at JFK at 25' then maybe ditching is your best option or if you are out in Midland, TX (or someplace like that) find a field and belly it in.

Buy a lotto ticket. Same chances. Did you do a NTSB search? Never happened. Anything could happen. What if your landing gear fell off when you rotated? Find a real problem.

Buy a lotto ticket. Same chances. Did you do a NTSB search? Never happened. Anything could happen. What if your landing gear fell off when you rotated? Find a real problem.

Nothing ever happened until the first time.

If you seriously believe this scenario is not possible (if unlikely) then you're delusional. But that's beside the point. It is a question that I wanted to ask. If you would like to answer the question please do. The above contributed nothing to this thread. Thanks.

LD, you asked a valid question although from a probability point of view it ranks right up there with me winning back to back mega lottos. Sure, there is a chance but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it and I'm a pretty light sleeper.

Back when I did my DA50 initial the groundschool instructer answered the question this way...

"If you lose one engine, you're not having a very good day. If you ever lose two engines you will lose the third - you're dealing with saboutage."

That pretty much sums it up. The loss of any one engine is as close to a non-event as you can have. It's not even considered an emergency and the checklists for it are in the Abnormal sections. If you lose an engine, then another, shortly after departure then somebody's been messing with something and you're going to lose the 3rd engine. Whatever happens after that isn't going to be Garrett's fault.

LS

Nothing ever happened until the first time.

If you seriously believe this scenario is not possible (if unlikely) then you're delusional. But that's beside the point. It is a question that I wanted to ask. If you would like to answer the question please do. The above contributed nothing to this thread. Thanks.

How's the ex-wife?

It could happen with birds. Other airplanes have lost two engines from birds on take off, a falcon 20 not to long ago.

That pretty much sums it up. The loss of any one engine is as close to a non-event as you can have. It's not even considered an emergency and the checklists for it are in the Abnormal sections.

I think most jets are like that these days.

The EMB is also an Abnormal for engine failure. (I know at FSI KTEB they were so proud of the fact that an engine failure wasn't an emergency, which always puzzled me a little. LOL! ) :) Maybe the 50 was the first corporate jet like that, although I would think a Jetstar would be the same way.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back