Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

buckdanny

Hi,

My student and I are starting a fractional ownership. He's been working on it for over a year and a half now, and things are coming together.

He already has a Hawker 800XP on order, is now considering a Falcon 50 instead. The plane is to be based in the SF bay area, and will fly a lot inside California. Also occasionally to Hawaii, and other destinations in the country.

Both planes can fly long distances. Is there one that is better than the other, or is it just a matter of personal preference? Which one is more comfortable for longer haul flights? Another aspect I was considering is the safety factor of having 3 engines on the Falcon. I am pretty new to this, so every advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Buck

Hi,

My student and I are starting a fractional ownership. He's been working on it for over a year and a half now, and things are coming together.

He already has a Hawker 800XP on order, and is now considering a Falcon 50 instead. The plane is to be based in the SF bay area, and will fly a lot inside California. Also occasionally to Hawaii, and other destinations in the country.

Both planes can fly long distances. Is there one that is better than the other, or is it just a matter of personal preference? Which one is more comfortable for longer haul flights? Another aspect I was considering is the safety factor of having 3 engines on the Falcon. I am pretty new to this, so every advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Buck

If you do HNL any amount, the 50 offers some advantage in that it will not be affected by the proposed ETOPS rules for 135/91 operators. If you do mostly semi local stuff the Hawker operates much cheaper than the 50.

But another point is that in that class of aircraft you will do a lot of trips to places like Tahoe, Aspen, Jackson Hole. The 50 is a no sweat a/c out of these airports just about all the time. The Hawker can be quit limited, esspecially in the summer.

Believe a Hawker 800XP would have a wet footprint in some conditions going to Hawaii.
Besides you can never beat a third engine(Falcon 50)when going over water.

Fly Safe
Chuck

Baggage

Can't speak for the technical issues but the 800XP can barely hold a briefcase and a hanging bag. The Falcon has a good bit of aft storage whereas the Hawker is just an interior closet. This may be an issue for your owners.

Falcon 50 has to have better baggage space. The cabin is bigger.

The 800XP

is a good airplane, but any airplane that bangs an engine on take off and its only an abnormal procedure (DA-50), rather than an emergency can't be beat. More baggage, more range, better short field ability, the Falcon is the way to go. Just put the gas you need on and go.

Just my 2 cents.

Rick1128 said:
If you do HNL any amount, the 50 offers some advantage in that it will not be affected by the proposed ETOPS rules for 135/91 operators. If you do mostly semi local stuff the Hawker operates much cheaper than the 50.

But another point is that in that class of aircraft you will do a lot of trips to places like Tahoe, Aspen, Jackson Hole. The 50 is a no sweat a/c out of these airports just about all the time. The Hawker can be quit limited, esspecially in the summer.

I'd have to agree with Rick1128. However, I have not seen any proposals on ETOPS for Part 91 operators. Rick1128, if you have more info, please post or PM. A search of NBAA shows references only to Part 135 operators, not 91:

From NBAA Update (#03-48):

"NBAA is developing comments to the proposed FAA Regulations on Extended Operations (ETOPS) of Multi-Engine Airplanes. These regulations would establish aircraft certification and operating standards for long-range flights conducted under FAR Part 135. The standards would limit all Part 135 aircraft operations to within 180 minutes of an airport unless the FAA approves the operator for extended operations. NBAA will host a one-day meeting in Washington, DC in early January 2004 to discuss the rule and identify areas for comment. To participate in the meeting and for location details, contact NBAA's Mike Nichols at [email protected]. To download a copy of the proposed rule in PDF format, visit: web.nbaa.org/public/ops/#etops."

Regards,
2000Flyer

Falcon 50 all the way... Especially if he can get a 50EX model... Fast, High and Far... All out of a short runway... Can't be beat in its class for runway/range performance. Plus I think the 50 cabin is a tad larger and the baggage space is a LOT larger than the Hawker 800XP.

Latest resources

Back