Fair Appraisal of SWA's Future

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Delville,

You bring up many issues that analysts & business afficionados bring up often when talking about SWA's future....many are excellent concerns that are worth debating. I'll ask you this though as a simple test of my theory about how much "outsiders" really know about a company they don't work for.

I'm sure you know of some folks either at work or relatives or maybe even yourself that are known to others....when the conversation comes up about that individual, family member or even yourself by someone who only knows them on a superficial level or even if they have interacted with them more than just superficially their impression of them maybe completely different than your own as someone who knows them from a deeper personal experience/relationship. Without going Dr Phil on you, the simple fact is what goes on inside the company is difficult to put into words for folks to understand how aggressive the company is at controling costs. It is therefore difficult for those outside the company to see these changes/efforts to become more efficient & to work hard at making it happen.

All the things you bring up are "cancers" that have helped cause the demise of not just airline companies but other companies & while Southwest isn't immune to those same pitfalls, I think the employees of Southwest are working as hard as any employee group to avoid them.

More info comes out on this board from great contributors like SWAdude, SWAinflt & others than is written about in business articles or the WSJ....it is as much a part of the culture as walking is to humans......these stories/illustrations are but a small glimpse into this culture....it is everywhere employees turn in publications, releases, weather packets to read before fly files.

SWAinflt summed it up perfectly (far better than me, my apologies for rambling) item by item....the debate will continue to go on, not by detractors necessarily (even though there are many as you said who would love to see Southwest stumble) but by folks who are interested in the life cycles of businesses.....hopefully Southwest can continue to baffle observers like yourself or predictors of doom and remain humble, keep costs low, deliver more than we promise & do it safely.....again some great points on your part....hopefully when we're all grandparents we can look back & see that Southwest may have broken the mold and done OK by its folks & for its customers....the folks to be praised then will be the employees & management in that order. Cheers

Delville said:
Chase, I originally posted this on Dec 16. I think it still holds true regarding SWA's moniker as the newest in the line of airline industry leaders:

"...Additionally, humility has always been a cornerstone of SWA's culture. Customers have always picked up on that and liked it...SWA was in an underdog sort of situation. They were willing to cut SWA just a little bit of slack. That's the way people are...SWA knows in it's heart it doesn't have to be as efficient right now. If the playing field is ever leveled, SWA could be at a disadvantage."

You are right about humility, it is part of the culture and important. But I disagree, it is not being lost. I can't argue about it, just my opinion. Hopefully the employees won't lose it.

I don't make the connection between humility and the traveler supporting the underdog. If the custormer is really supporting the underdog they would stop flying JetBlue and go for Independence Air and USAir.

You say SWA knows they don't have to be efficient right now? Are you kidding me? You have much to learn about SWA.

...fear is a huge motivator...don't dismiss that...

Ask UAL78 what it felt like to be at United circa 1998-99. My buddies that got hired there were top of the world. Now its tough... 2001 wasn't that long ago, and my buddies at DAL and UAL were sky-kings then.

I don't think the employees at SWA, JetBlue, or a host of other carriers (mine included) are blind idiots. We see how quickly things can change, and I firmly believe most of the guys in successful companies aren't sitting in ivory towers, but rather very alertly taking notes and planning ahead.

The critics imply airline employees will sit there smugly and become more like those that failed. Instead, I think there is an almost paranoid determination to make sure that the outcome is exactly different.

Wrong before...will be again....std disclaimers...

Latest resources

Back