Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

diggertwo

http://www.pilotbug.com/?p=1668

The FAA issued a withdrawal of its 1995 Notice of Published Rulemaking (NPRM) on establishing rest, duty and flight time limitation of flight crewmembers. In that document, the FAA stated the NPRM had become outdated and because it raised so many issues that the FAA needed to address it decided to that new proposal will follow.

Long before and in the 14 years since, the rest, duty and flighttime requirements have been studied continually and proposal after proposal have been put out there and nothing has come from it. The February crash of Colgan 3407 in Buffalo, NY was just the last of the so-called “clarion call” regarding what to do about tired pilots. It is simply unbelievable that a NPRM has languished for nearly a decade and a half without any final rule on duty and rest.

While I agree that the rules need to be updated, be careful what you wish for, Homer. The law of unintended consequences is lurking in the shadows.

Wow- unintended consequences... What's vague bs argument(!) So we clearly should do nothing- that's the answer. (shakes head) Why don't you get specific- then write letters and make your voice heard- our rest rules are ridiculous, non-scientific political half measures. They should be changed- and if we end up with more political/corporate compromises- then we should stand up to that too. It's hard for me to see that the rules could be less effective. And if you disagree- I doubt youve worked at a place that routinely schedules you up to the 'legal' max.

Whoa!!!

Spring loaded to the pissed off position, there doncha think? I believe I said somewhere in there that the rest rules needed work....oh, there it is! The very first sentence. Good thing it wasn't a snake.

So do the rest/duty rules need an overhaul? Of course they do. I am all for it, as is every other professional pilot. Just be aware that while we will be better rested and therefore safer as a whole, there will be burdens borne because of it and it will be we who bear them.

As for unintended consequences, well by their nature we'll just have to see what they are when they surface. I rather doubt they will bother the congress, the FAA or airline management as much as they will bother those of us in the trenches.

Last edited:
No- not pissed at all. Bored and tired of the illogic fear mongering in this decade's politics. True- I don't want to be forced to be less productive and then have to spend more nights away from home-and more days at work- so I've already written the FAA, both senators and my congressman and told them my position.

Again, I think you speak from the perspective of never having born the weight of the current rules- therefore your concern with the changes.

By all means correct me if I'm wrong.

Again, I think you speak from the perspective of never having born the weight of the current rules- therefore your concern with the changes.

By all means correct me if I'm wrong.

You are corrected. I have lived it and worse: I worked for a Part 91 operator without even the rudimentary protections the current rules provide and was fired for refusing a trip. I have been living under the 121 rules and scheduled to the limits for 10+ years. So yes, I am speaking from a position of knowledge and experience, your attempted condescension notwithstanding.

I have not contacted my legislators in this regard, but that is because my experience with them in previous issues leads me to believe this will be met with the same response. The apathy is not on my part, but the term "pissing in the wind" comes to mind when I think of the honorable gentlemen who represent me (supposedly).

I have contacted my union rep's, who testified before congress, but ultimately the decision, whether in the form of proposed legislation or a NPRM will come from grandstanding legislators or out of touch FAA drones who are in fact here to help us.

As such, my concern with the effect of an overhaul of the rest rules by the FAA and the congress is precisely the accusation you make against me: that they have not had to live under the old rules, will not have to live under the new rules and are not in a position to accurately predict the consequences of their actions

I fear there is a certain naivete in that any change to the rest rules will be for the better. From the standpoint of safety that is certainly true. It will be interesting to see the reaction when we realize the true nature of the sacrifices a bunch of desk-jockeys thrust upon us. In this respect, I expect it is you who have not borne the effects of and who therefore lacks the experience with well intentioned ignorance and indifference.

Last edited:
While I agree that the rules need to be updated, be careful what you wish for, Homer. The law of unintended consequences is lurking in the shadows.

Well said, Axel! Glad to see someone sees through the BS. People who think things are going to suddenly get better for everyone and that the FAA will fix it all are kidding themselves...they are as political and corrupt as any politically motivated organization. Who is looking out for the pilots here? No one of consequence...stand by for those unintended consequences

The FAA is and will be corrupt. To figure this out you can look at the Licensing procedure, the airspace system, security, and airline safety.

First licensing in the GA world is based on cash infusion to the DPE ( I know many DPEs that will fall people on small stuff so they could get the re test fee. For example I will hang my neck out there, I had to "re-take" my MEI because I didn't read my checklist out loud. My re test was .2 and was completed during a taxi. My "mistake" although was not in PTS I was made to pay the DPE $300 extra. The FSDO is too busy to do MEI rides. After my bust the guy did the same type of crap to atleast 10-15 people before the FSDO cracked the whip. On the airline side the FAA does what the companies what it to do therefore they created the SIC BS and allowed pax to be flown in a 100 seat RJ without an ATP. Enter Colgan accident FO with little to no experience in icing conditions.

Second, the airspace system is so jacked up the only people that benefit it is maybe the computer guys that works at the FAA. We are creating more and more lateral and vertical deviations because of the inadequacy of the system. It simply cannot support the volume of traffic. If NASA can find funds to blow up the moon the FAA can find a few dollars to redo the airspace system.

Security, all I have to say is TSA

Safety, SWA, AA etc flying hundreds of a/c with ADs that were not addressed and risking the lives of the millions. It seams like the left hand doesn't know where its finger has been. The FAA officials for those airlines need to be put on trial for allowing such an egregious actions in the MX procedure. As a military officer if I risked the lives of people working for me knowingly you can bet that I will be in a ton of trouble.

If you want to see the model govt branch look towards the United States Coast Guard and what it does to keep the maritime industry safe. The FAA is the complete opposite. keep in mind the CG is smaller than the NYC police force and takes care of the US and world vessel safety. Throw in Iraq, Somalia, and other deployments as well.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back