FAA Vision Test

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nichnack

Has anyone out there memorized the bottom line of letters on the vision test? And, does anyone know if there are different versions or would the row of letters you see be the same as the letters I would see from some random examiner?

The 20/20 line on standard charts is:
D E F P O T E C

the 20/40 line is:
W H T A M O R E N

Time for some glasses? Seriously I dont think you need the bottom line of letters its the 2nd or 3rd line up for near vision isnt it? That stupid Clint Eastwood movie comes to mind, the one were the old farts go on the shuttle to save the planet from some astroid or something.

I remember D E F P O T E C from my first medical back in 91. My doctor now, though, uses that eye machine you look into. He has different letters, but i saw the key once and have been home free since!

(btw. I can read them just fine too)

You have got to be kidding me... Cheating on an eye exam? If you need glasses, get them. It doesn't matter whether you have them or not.. But when you get into trouble because you can't, or don't see something... Then you have real problems! It just a normal thing... as you age your eyes weaken then the natural progression is glasses......

This job is too important vision wise to try to get around having healthy vision.

Please think it over before taking this route.

My doctor is great. All he asks is, how far down can you read and I say 2nd from the bottom and he says great, 20-20. He doesn't even make me read it.

I always tell him that I can see it, but I can't read.

Latest resources

Back