• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA should think twice about not having a retirement rule in 135 flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unless you're dead, how am I catching up? ;-)
it is a math thing % of age, on my sisters 1st B'day, I was 1000% older than her, she was born 10 years after me. On her 10th B'day I was only 100% older than her, and this year I am only a 17% older than her.

it is a math thing % of age, on my sisters 1st B'day, I was 1000% older than her, she was born 10 years after me. On her 10th B'day I was only 100% older than her, and this year I am only a 17% older than her.

Ahh yes...makes perfect sense. I never was very good at math

QUOTE=cldsfr79;2304694]I never said my "research" was scientific. Scientific research would take months and I sure wouldn't post it here. I spent 20 minutes searching "pilot incapacitation" in the NTSB report and found an overwhelming number of pilots above 60 who have passed while flying. That's how simple it is; I didn't bias the info, I just looked at what came up. I just posted what I found. I know the rough data hurts. There are not enough young guys passing to out way the older ones.

In regards to experience and age. Yes, there have been studies that show that older pilots have similar reaction time as younger new pilots when faced with a new situation. The older pilot reflects upon what experience they have had to deal with the situation while the inexperienced pilot has to mentally review their training to determine an out come. A strange thing happens though as the young pilot gains experience. He then becomes faster because of his training and experience while the older pilot begins to struggle because with age the mind has trouble retaining and learning new information as well as the processing time of the mind begins to slow. An example is why a 5 year old can learn both spanish and english with ease while some one older struggles with remembering the lessons.[/QUOTE]

So here's a problem. What about the "older" captains who have some serious experience, good crm and are still sharp as a whip. The blanket statement of "all pilots should retire at age X because they arent as sharp as they used to be" doesnt really work because those guys who can still fly the hell out of the aircraft are worth their weight in gold for mentoring the new guys. If this is a key factor in accidents then your class 1 medical should be tougher to account for the effects of age, progressive simulator training would be benneficial for all 135 pilots regardless of age rather than doing the same checkride year in and year out.

It would be a shame to see these guys pushed out of the cockpit because of others who (for whatever reason) arent fit to fly.

And i am not one of the older pilot types (by a long shot!)

I never made a mistake until my 65th birthday. All my check rides were flawless. Every flight was perfect.

I suddenly found myself to be error prone, but it wasn't until three months before my 68th birthday that I realized I was becoming a menace to aviation. (Navy guys: does the term "dilbert" ring a bell?)

Once I recognized that I was hopelessly descending into the valley of errors, I told my CP that I would retire after working through the grace period on my last 6-month check, three weeks after I attained the decrepit age of 68. He was disappointed, but he got over it.

That was two years ago. Now I'm an instructor and check pilot with the Civil Air Patrol. I haven't killed anyone yet with my age-diminished skills and judgment, and Idon't see it happening any time soon.

Now that I'm out of the way, some young studs are able to turn to the left for guidance and see only their reflection in the side window. Good luck with that.

Ahh yes...makes perfect sense. I never was very good at math

Think of it this way. When we met, the difference in our ages was about half of your lifetime. Today, the difference in our ages is about a quarter of your lifetime. If that trend continues, pretty soon you'll be older than me!:D

Now that I'm out of the way, some young studs are able to turn to the left for guidance and see only their reflection in the side window. Good luck with that.

Your comment smacks of pompous sarcasm. I wonder how many captains said the same about you when you before you moved to the left seat. ;)

Your comment smacks of pompous sarcasm. I wonder how many captains said the same about you when you before you moved to the left seat. ;)

I see you caught on to my point.

My comment is not nearly as pompous and sarcastic as some of the comments I've heard (and seen posted) over the years from the young stallions champing at the bit to get the geezers out of the way.

For what it's worth, there were plenty of times when I was happy to learn from the guy or "gal" in the left seat. Since I got a late start, many of them were younger than I. It's called CRM and mentoring.

Latest resources

Back