• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA should think twice about not having a retirement rule in 135 flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Easy CC, I think Broke was making fun of Cal and the like.

This subject comes up about every 6 months. The same people make the same arguments, the same asinine posts appear, tempers flair, and then it goes away for a few months. Nothing either side says is going to change anyone's opinion, but they have to go through it every so often.

Helm

And this has never happened to a pilot under 60?, but a 30+ pilot runs off the runway in SC, that is OK, a 40+ pilot doesn't deice his airplane kills everyone on board, that is OK also?, a 50+ pilot takes off in his jet and runs out of gas, that is also OK. I could go on.

I think everyone can agree that there is a a bit of a difference between dying or becoming incapacitated at the flight controls and pilot (human) error.

As noted with my quick dirty "research" I did not even look at accidents that involved pilot errors. Just pilots dying at the flight controls.

I didn't bring up the accident of the two 65+ year old guys that had tens of thousands of hours who flew a Gulfstream into the ground in Houston during low vis because they couldn't figure out why their ILS signal was not working. Instead of falling back on their vast knowledge and sound judgment to work on the issue and fly a missed approach, they decided to both stare at their needles, ask each other confusing questions and fly the plane right into the ground.

Has a young guy flown planes into the ground? You bet and it happens more often than not! But I thought the secondary issue besides death on the flight deck was that a superior older pilot with decades of service and tens of thousands of hours should be incredibly sharp and not make bad decisions. Accidents should not happen to them, only to the young inexperienced pilots. This line of thought does hold true until age starts kicking in. No I don't make things up, in my collegiate studies I have read multiple aviation human factors and aviation psychology books.

Your "facts" on the Houston matter are not completely accurate-

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/fulltext/AAB0606.html

I am so sorry for posting dis-information. They both weren't over 65. The CA was 67 and the FO was 62. My mistake.

And by reading the report it really did seem like they were working as a team to solve their approach problem.

They sure worked hard together in continuing a bad approach and flying themselves into the ground.

Personally, I have had approach problems before. ILS failures, GPS failures, equipment malfunctions, and yes the occasional mis-radio frequency set. The difference between me and them, is that I elected to go around and fix the problem instead of acting dumbfounded and confused.

This was not an age thing. This was a lack of EFIS experience.

I am so sorry for posting dis-information. They both weren't over 65. The CA was 67 and the FO was 62. My mistake.

And by reading the report it really did seem like they were working as a team to solve their approach problem.

They sure worked hard together in continuing a bad approach and flying themselves into the ground.

Personally, I have had approach problems before. ILS failures, GPS failures, equipment malfunctions, and yes the occasional mis-radio frequency set. The difference between me and them, is that I elected to go around and fix the problem instead of acting dumbfounded and confused.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back