• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA medical will require sleep study for some, others to follow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CPAP machines cost upwards of $5000.....sleep studies can be $800-1500. Who pays for all this and what is to stop doctors/insurance companies from abusing the system for a diagnosis that is very subjective???

Pilots poulation will be the test bed. The next group will be the truckers and CDL drivers. Then plant and refinery workers, heavy construction and medical staffers will be poked and proded. How many paitents who go in for sleep evaluation walk out with a negative diagnosis? I would quess VERY few.
We all have sleep issues from time to time stress of family, finacial issues and job market.
I have not had a full week of "normal sleep" since I have graduated high school. I am not out of shape over weight or unhealthy. I am a full time dad of 4 kids with elderly parents and fly for a living. I dont know any adult working to raise a family who has regular sleep patterns. The human body is designed to addapt to changes in its environment. The body has amazing ability to recharge the batteries with short "power" naps. We each know our limits how much sleep is enough for us to function safely.
I for one dont want uncle sam telling me how to live my day to day life. I obay the laws pay my "fair" share of taxes and stay active in my local community. I want to choose what food i consume, material i read, shows i watch, religion i practice, vihicle i drive and the sports i participate in.

Right there with ya, well said!

This is a concerted effort by the government to derail and bankrupt regional airlines.

Most overweight pilots I see are at the regionals. FAR117 and the 1500hr rule ensure there is no supply of pilots.

They will be successful.

You have to be really fat to be even at a BMI of 30. Maybe this is an incentive to get on a treadmill.

I'm 6'4" and 230 pounds... my BMI is listed at 28 and I am far from fat...

The current BMI scale is incredibly out of date... yes America has an obesity problem but they need to look at more than just BMI IMHO....

Perspective:
At 5'6" and 248 lbs, your BMI is 40.0
At 5'8" and 263 lbs, your BMI is 40.0
At 6'0" and 295 lbs, your BMI is 40.0
At 6'2" and 312 lbs, your BMI is 40.0

I don't think this is going to be much of a concern for a lot of pilots.

I don't think this is going to be much of a concern for a lot of pilots.

Do you really think they'll stop there? They've already indicated it is just a "starting point".

They'll work their way down, finding a nominal number of apnea cases at lower BMIs, and before long, every pilot regardless of BMI will have to undergo a sleep test.

You wait and see.

Latest resources

Back