• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA medical will require sleep study for some, others to follow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yea with my height, my "normal" weight is 165lbs!!! I haven't been 165 since highschool!! That bmi is a bunch of crap anyway!!! You have a little muscle and your "overweight". Wth!!!

The BMI charts are incorrect, as they typically average both men and women. This chart says it is normal to be 130, but overweight at 170??? That is just incorrect (5'9"). You have to take into consideration muscle mass versus fat, and then come up with a better number. My sports nutritionist says anything below 160 for me is no bueno, which is borderline overweight per the chart. To each his own. I imagine crossfitters and weightlifters are extremely healthy and likely have a BMI above 30.

I just hope the FAA does not use this as a checklist and force the test upon people who are perfectly healthy. Yeah, right...

Pilots poulation will be the test bed. The next group will be the truckers and CDL drivers. Then plant and refinery workers, heavy construction and medical staffers will be poked and proded. How many paitents who go in for sleep evaluation walk out with a negative diagnosis? I would quess VERY few.
We all have sleep issues from time to time stress of family, finacial issues and job market.
I have not had a full week of "normal sleep" since I have graduated high school. I am not out of shape over weight or unhealthy. I am a full time dad of 4 kids with elderly parents and fly for a living. I dont know any adult working to raise a family who has regular sleep patterns. The human body is designed to addapt to changes in its environment. The body has amazing ability to recharge the batteries with short "power" naps. We each know our limits how much sleep is enough for us to function safely.
I for one dont want uncle sam telling me how to live my day to day life. I obay the laws pay my "fair" share of taxes and stay active in my local community. I want to choose what food i consume, material i read, shows i watch, religion i practice, vihicle i drive and the sports i participate in.

Neck circumference of 17"?

Look for an increase in the number of 17" necks being crammed into a 16" shirt. It's going to rival the number of 34" pants with a 50'" gut overhanging them.

Hello vegetables and juicing, good-bye processed foods and red-meat. Just another reason to bypass Five Guys on C now.

What I dont understand is where this came from? All of a sudden BMI is the gold standard of health. What about high blood pressure, cholesterol and heart disease?

The pamphlet says 25-30% of people with a BMI less than 30 have apnea. does he own stock in a CPAP machine company??

So AT LEAST 30% of us will be dragging a machine on the overnights now? SOME will be diagnosed with NON OBSTRUCTIVE APNEA which a CPAP wont help. DING.....LOST medical.

Cant even go to the truck driving school if that happens

What I dont understand is where this came from? All of a sudden BMI is the gold standard of health. What about high blood pressure, cholesterol and heart disease?

The pamphlet says 25-30% of people with a BMI less than 30 have apnea. does he own stock in a CPAP machine company??

So AT LEAST 30% of us will be dragging a machine on the overnights now? SOME will be diagnosed with NON OBSTRUCTIVE APNEA which a CPAP wont help. DING.....LOST medical.

Cant even go to the truck driving school if that happens
Remember Michael Chertoff, former head of DHS, getting paid by Rapiscan to pimp their imaging machines?

I agree, BMI is a pretty inaccurate measurement of health. This is clearly about kickbacks and secondary agendas.

For what it's worth, though, eating your veggies and avoiding 5 Guys if you are obese isn't a bad idea.

Latest resources

Back