FAA Jobs Application Process

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bobbysamd

I had a member send me a PM on how to apply for FAA jobs. His/her options would not let me respond directly to the private, so I will answer this way. Hopefully, he/she will see this post, and maybe others will amplify on my comments.
I am interested in working for the FAA and I was wondering if you know of a way to apply with the FAA as opposed to applying for each individual job . . .
I had applied for ASI positions at one time. As far as I know, you cannot send in a blanket SF-171 to the FAA. You have to wait for the FAA to open a register before you can apply. It may be different for other branches of the FAA.

I have seen the federal courts advertise in the newspaper for division clerks, but I suspect that is only window-dressing to comply with any EOE laws. Getting a job in the federal court system, or any court system, for that matter, usually requires a connection.

Hope that helps.

Click here to get a listing of current openings within the FAA. First click on "all oportunities" at the top of the page, then when the search page comes up, on the top line labled "open to", select "non-Federal employees" from the pull down menu, then hit "search". This will display all current openings within the FAA. (Note that ASI positions are open continuously.) Click on the announcement number of a position you might be interested in. The announcement will include the requirements for the position, as well as how to apply, which forms are necessary (most of the forms are available for download from the FAA site). and where to send the completed application packet.

All the information you need is included in each announcement.

bobbysamd said:
As far as I know, you cannot send in a blanket SF-171 to the FAA.

The FAA is now using form OF-612 in lieu of SF-171, it is a much shorter form. You can still use SF-171 if you like but I would suggest the other, I believe it will eventually be replaced by it permanently.

bobbysamd said:
You have to wait for the FAA to open a register before you can apply.

Bobby,
Do you know anything about this registry? I have a friend who currently works for the FAA tell me the most important thing I needed to do was get on the registry, so he sent me a packet that had all the info to apply for the ASI job, the same stuff you can get on-line. Supposedly the registry info was there to but there was not anything idicating such.
Bottom line: Do you know what the registry is and if so do you have a form number

Thanks,
Brian

...cant beat 'em, join 'em, eh? :p

The Register

52vincent said:
I have a friend who currently works for the FAA tell me the most important thing I needed to do was get on the registry, so he sent me a packet that had all the info to apply for the ASI job, the same stuff you can get on-line. Supposedly the registry info was there to but there was not anything idicating such.
Bottom line: Do you know what the registry is and if so do you have a form number . . .
Your friend is absolutely correct and is using correct phraseology. I think the term is "register." The register is Civil Service-speak for a listing of most-qualified to least-qualified applicants. When a register opens, that means the federal agency in question is taking applications. From what I learned about the process, you complete an SF-171 or whatever form the Civil Service uses these days and send it in. Your form is reviewed and scored. The higher the score, the higher you appear on the register. Meaning that if five ASIs are needed and you score among the top five, theoretically you will be called.

I believe there are some nuances to the register, meaning that if a particular FSDO is looking for a particular type of person and you meet the requirements, you will be called, even if you scored lower than others. Typical aviation hiring, huh? :rolleyes:

I have a friend who got hired by the FAA. She told me that more is better when completing an SF-171. She said to write up every possible detail about your duties in each of your jobs. In other words, if you worked at an FBO as an instructor and air taxi pilot, and were responsible for taking out the trash from the airplane after each flight, be sure that you put in that you took out the trash from the airplane after each flight. Also, if your job required adherance to the FARs, cite them to the Code of Federal Regulations ("CFR"). In other words, don't cite FAR 61.57. You cite it as 14 CFR 61.57. She explained that the GS-2s or lower don't know "FARs" but know the CFR. The form used to ask the percentage of time you spent at each of your duties. BE SURE to cite a percentage of time that you spent at each of your duties. I remember spending days preparing and typing my SF-171.

Her advice must have worked, because I received some kind of postcard saying that my name had been retrieved from the register. I heard nothing further, though.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your job search.

Last edited:
Thanks Bobby, sounds like I may have to resubmit my form, cause I left out some minor details about checking the oil before every flight.:p

Bobbysamd is correct. I used to work for the FAA(not FSDO) The more you can pile on the SF171 the better. If you have a choice, do a 171 over a OF612 form. While the 612 is shorter and easier to fill out, it doesn't fully allow you to put all accomplishments/skills like a 171 does.

Don't even bother sending the application, if your socks match.

If they don't, you might be the right candidate.

SF-171 anal details

52vincent said:
Thanks Bobby, sounds like I may have to resubmit my form, cause I left out some minor details about checking the oil before every flight.:p
Don't laugh; Vincent has a point.

Latest resources

Back