• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Head Concerned With Cockpit Experience

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think Babbitt is an industry puppet. Like the current administration he says one thing, then does something else while lying to you that he actually did the thing he said. Very Orwellian.

I agree with labbats. We need upward pressure for our profession.

Email, Email, Email Your congressman.

If you don't, you get what you deserve.

Good point. It should be a FI rule that before you post on here about an issue like this you should have to post the letter your wrote to your congressman and senator on the issue. I'll be writing one tonight.

Scott

ATP will not pass nor will the 1500hr requirement. The reason is that schools such as Embry Riddle and Uni. North Dakota have more influence than you think.

They will survive. Survive the just the same way they did when it took far more than 1500 hours to get hired at a regional. I still have the info sheet passed out in initial GS over 10 years ago. The class average was 1864 hours.

The text attributed to him in the initial post seems spot on.

I always say: "if it does come to work in uniform... dont trust them."

There will always be someone out there who will fly a "jet" 1500 hrs or not. I know a mesa guy who would do anything to get outta his situation as a flight instructor including taking min pay to fly for a regional. The "fly for nearly free crowd" will be there regardless of hrs or ratings.

There will always be someone out there who will fly a "jet" 1500 hrs or not. I know a mesa guy who would do anything to get outta his situation as a flight instructor including taking min pay to fly for a regional. The "fly for nearly free crowd" will be there regardless of hrs or ratings.

So, just one question;

if you happen to have received civilian flight instruction........at your own expense.................at some point in your career......... just how much did you pay the instructor?

I take it from your post, you must have willingly shelled out at least 75 bucks an hour?

We wouldn't want that poor instructor to become one of those "will fly for free" guys.....?

Just wondering...........

What is requiring an ATP prior to employment really going to do? If you want a newhire to have 1500 hours then fine, but requiring them to have an ATP just means the newhires will have to go out to some rating factory somewhere, risk their lives in some scary light twin for a few hours and go a few thousand dollars deeper in the hole.

I got my ATP when I upgraded. All that was involved was checking off an extra box or two on my 8710 and spending a bunch of time studying for the ATP written test when I could (should?) have been studying our SOP, FOM, etc.

The ATP rating is superfluous considering that the only time you can exercise the privileges granted are after a multi-month training course specific to your airline and aircraft and passing multiple tests and checks that are well beyond what is required to simply obtain an ATP.

Scott

Well here's what can happen. In order to go to the line you MUST have the ATP and Type rating (and now we can do away with the BS SIC type rating at the same time) Both pilots on line must have the ATP and (PIC level) type rating. The airlines are still free to hire someone with just the Commertial but they need to meet all the time requirements to take the ATP ride. What is so wrong with that?

I figure most company's SIC type rides are only short a couple takeoffs and taxiing from a full blown PIC type. The whole ratings/hours issue is a red herring. It is the depth and rigor of our training that is the REAL issue. 10,000 hours in a cessna and you will STILL have that "gee wiz" feeling, flying your first jet. And you will STILL be lacking the adequate experience to make you fully competent. This is why there are captains. HOWEVER, make sure your captains are competent at the very least, though....

So, just one question;

if you happen to have received civilian flight instruction........at your own expense.................at some point in your career......... just how much did you pay the instructor?

I take it from your post, you must have willingly shelled out at least 75 bucks an hour?

We wouldn't want that poor instructor to become one of those "will fly for free" guys.....?

Just wondering...........

Actually it was about $50 an hr and the Instructor got like 10 of it, the rest went to the college flight program. I guess I don't really understand your point....
If your point was the the flight instructor doesn't work for free well according to your response to my orginal post you must have never been a flight instructor. If you had/have been a flight instructor you would know cfi's don't make hardly any money. If they did there would not be any pilots flying anything over 12500.

Latest resources

Back