• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Head Concerned With Cockpit Experience

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually it was about $50 an hr and the Instructor got like 10 of it, the rest went to the college flight program. I guess I don't really understand your point....
If your point was the the flight instructor doesn't work for free well according to your response to my orginal post you must have never been a flight instructor. If you had/have been a flight instructor you would know cfi's don't make hardly any money. If they did there would not be any pilots flying anything over 12500.

What dont you get!....Let me spell it out...He is saying you did not pay alot to your instructor...and you instruct for very little....then you bitch about someone flying right seat in a jet for little....get it?

SE ATP, the easy way

What is requiring an ATP prior to employment really going to do? If you want a newhire to have 1500 hours then fine, but requiring them to have an ATP just means the newhires will have to go out to some rating factory somewhere, risk their lives in some scary light twin for a few hours and go a few thousand dollars deeper in the hole.Scott
Do your ATP in a SE, much cheaper, much easier, and still an ATP. Doesn't even have to be a complex airplane. I did mine in a Grumman Tiger. Never take the written again.

I agree something's wrong; a few notes from my regional airline logbook:

--A few years back as an FO (with about 5,000 hrs TT), I flew with a young new captain for her first trip out of IOE. As we rotated into the clouds, she confided in me that this was her first time in IMC as a PIC in any airplane!

--A new captain with less-than-100 hrs PIC and less-than 2,000 TT refused to land with flaps stuck at 30 on a 6,800ft runway until we had a "low-fuel" warning and I had to command "my airplane!" (<--that never made it into the report!)

--A low-time new captain, who obviously never learned how to use radar, deviated around every city between ATL and OKC on a VMC night flight! I said nothing, but occasionally sprayed Coke on the windshield from laughing as I diplomatically handled the ATC queries "deviate around WHAT?"

Last edited:
What dont you get!....Let me spell it out...He is saying you did not pay alot to your instructor...and you instruct for very little....then you bitch about someone flying right seat in a jet for little....get it?

Maybe true (I actually make descent a per hr wage) but maybe you can't read very well. In my orginal post I was referring to the shiny jet attitude and used someone who used to be a Mesa pilot now a flight instructor who would learn LESS to fly for Mesa again. I was referring to an attitude that exist in some pilots mind.

Do your ATP in a SE, much cheaper, much easier, and still an ATP. Doesn't even have to be a complex airplane. I did mine in a Grumman Tiger. Never take the written again.

That was my original plan. After 7 years at a FDX feeder I took my ATP ride at the caravan sim. Pain Free ATP, free of charge. However, it was a single engine ATP and in order to be insured for my current job, SIC in a Beechjet air ambulance, I needed a Multi ATP.

Sooo, I took the Multi ATP the old-fasioned way, I paid for it out of pocket. It was the smartest money I ever spent. I sat through a 1.7 hour scream session of a checkride that was the most horrfiying experience I ever had in an airplane. Including all the scary stuff during the previous 11 years I flew single pilot freight, banner tow, traffic survey, skydivers and pipeline patrol...

Point being earning an ATP can be a very good thing, it was for me. At the very least, requiring 1,500 hours will increase the odds that the airline applicant has some sort of real world flying experience. In between these two jobs I was at a regional for about 15 minutes. I certainly wouldn't have been comfortable being thrown into that environment with 250 hours. What the hell is the rush anyways?

That was my original plan. After 7 years at a FDX feeder I took my ATP ride at the caravan sim. Pain Free ATP, free of charge. However, it was a single engine ATP and in order to be insured for my current job, SIC in a Beechjet air ambulance, I needed a Multi ATP.

Sooo, I took the Multi ATP the old-fasioned way, I paid for it out of pocket. It was the smartest money I ever spent. I sat through a 1.7 hour scream session of a checkride that was the most horrfiying experience I ever had in an airplane. Including all the scary stuff during the previous 11 years I flew single pilot freight, banner tow, traffic survey, skydivers and pipeline patrol...

Point being earning an ATP can be a very good thing, it was for me. At the very least, requiring 1,500 hours will increase the odds that the airline applicant has some sort of real world flying experience. In between these two jobs I was at a regional for about 15 minutes. I certainly wouldn't have been comfortable being thrown into that environment with 250 hours. What the hell is the rush anyways?

The rush? 2 things, first and biggest is seniority is everything. Skill unfortunately is basically meaningless compared to when you were hired. Second, well as bad as FO pay is at least it's consistent. Try making 15/ hr as a flight instructor and never knowing if you are even going to be able to get off the ground thanks to unpredictable weather/students. Good luck working with that kind of budget. As an FO I could budget for 22K... as a flight instructor I had no idea how much (ok really, little) I could make.

Where was Babbitt when ALPA was selling off SCOPE to the lowest bidder encouraging low time (B-scale) hiring at the outsourcing carriers?

Where was Babbitt when ALPA was selling off SCOPE to the lowest bidder encouraging low time (B-scale) hiring at the outsourcing carriers?

He actually was partially responsible for this and is on record saying so...He did an interview with Air Inc. when he was ALPA President, and talks about this very issue. He was part of the Eastern MEC when this started, and admits that the mainline didn't want to fly these smaller airplanes...and he admits it was a mistake..

The rush? 2 things, first and biggest is seniority is everything. Skill unfortunately is basically meaningless compared to when you were hired. Second, well as bad as FO pay is at least it's consistent. Try making 15/ hr as a flight instructor and never knowing if you are even going to be able to get off the ground thanks to unpredictable weather/students. Good luck working with that kind of budget. As an FO I could budget for 22K... as a flight instructor I had no idea how much (ok really, little) I could make.

You are exactly right. I was never a flight instructor, but the other jobs I did paid about the equivalent of ten bucks an hour. I had a family so I worked construction part time. You do what you gotta do. That being said, a 250 hour pilot has no business flying my family around. I have seen guys (and girls) who cannot land an airplane in a crosswind who were typed airline pilots.

Wtf?!?

I think they should require an ATP and type for both pilots, that would make the cockpit safer, upgrades cheaper and initial pay higher. So they have to charge more than 200 bucks a ticket? I don't think people would care if they knew it would increase the odds they would make it to their destination without dying.

Your seniority wouldn't be affected as everyone else you are competing with would have to build the time to qualify along with you.

I'd start a typed, ATP FO out at 35,000 and A CA at 50,000.
Big boy responsibility, big boy wage.

Wtf?!?

I'd start a typed, ATP FO out at 35,000 and A CA at 50,000.
Big boy responsibility, big boy wage.

WTF exactly!!! What is "big boy" about $50k for a captain???? I made $50k as a 2nd year FO at a regional 10 YEARS AGO!!! You people are the reason for the erosion of our wages. Unbelievable!

Latest resources

Back