• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

densoo

FAA Urges Airlines to Establish Go-Around Policy

http://www.alpa.org/portals/alpa/fastread/FAAlogo.jpg

This week, the FAA released a Safety Alert for Operators (SAFO) recommending that all operators should provide written policy to their flight crews emphasizing that:
  1. Either the pilot flying or the pilot monitoring may make a go-around callout, and
  2. The flying pilot’s immediate response to a go-around callout by the non-flying pilot is execution of a missed approach.
This SAFO is in response to an NTSB investigation into an air carrier runway overrun accident. During the approach, the pilot monitoring indicated that he could not see the end of the runway and stated, “Let’s go around.” The pilot flying then stated that he had the end of the runway in sight and continued the approach. The NTSB investigation revealed reluctance on the part of many pilots to execute a go-around and emphasized that regardless of which pilot calls for the go-around, the needed response should be to execute the go-around.
The FAA expects to incorporate this guidance into Order 8900.1, and revisions to AC 120-71A and AC 120-74A, respectively.

Background:
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]In 2007, an Embraer ERJ-170 overran the end of the runway while landing during snow conditions. On final approach, at an altitude of about 190 feet above ground level (AGL), the Captain, the pilot monitoring, stated he had the approach lights in sight. About 4 seconds afterward, the Captain stated the runway lights were in sight. However, when the airplane was at an altitude of 80 feet AGL, the Captain indicated he could not see the end of the runway and stated, "let’s go [around]." The First Officer, the pilot flying, then stated he had the end of the runway in sight and continued the approach. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Seriously! Those are like magic words to me. "Go Around" even with any other words around it meant one of us was uncertain of the outcome. Push 'em forward, do it again. Go arounds are free.

FAA Urges Airlines to Hire Captains With a Spine!

If they did that it would bite them in the but come contract time. They want compliant do-boys. That IMO is one of the main reasons "human resources" is so involved in the hiring process.

I had a go around in ORD that paid for my whole crew to have dinner on me.

And they say there is no such thing as a free lunch, ha!

Latest resources

Back