Faa Atc Hiring In 2006

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lrjtcaptain said:
Yeah, two of my friends from college got the calls last week.

The FAA seems as if they are redifining their hiring process. Usually they pick up alot of ARTCC's but when the hire for terminal they limit the facilities in which you can use for initial training first facility kind of stuff. Well, i heard a rumor that they are just gonna staff the rookies where they need bodies which basically screws me in the @$$ and doesn't give me an opportunity to move up like its been done in the past. Basically like an airline pilot gets hired into a Brasillia, pays his dues goes to a 737, pays his dues and goes up and up and up......well, now the rookies are gonna end up in the 747 and im stuck in the brasillia.....so.....good luck rookies, number 1, you terminal guys are gonna wash out, guaranteed, number 2, your not gonna have too many friends when you enter this business. Good luck.....and welcome to the world of the FAA. Its a freaking nightmare.

Its not all that bad, my ex has been a ATCer for the best part of 3years, yes its not easy, she has make plenty of friends in OKC and where she works. Went to OKC with her a few times, the guys there had the Gov credit card issued by the FAA for travel expenses....These guys where taking cash advances from the ATM for the Strip Clubs lol ....Funny stuff

My son has 6 months of college left and is looking for something to do. What is the best way to get into ATC....just watch for an open announcement?

Something weird is definately happening...a friend of mine who did the CTI program got a call...but my girlfriend who did the same program with a much better GPA hasn't heard anything yet. Just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for any of it.

88_MALIBU said:
Great, but unfortunately many recent grads of college programs only have 2 years until our opportunity expires. I have taken the OPM and CTO in case this airline thing doesnt work out. Im glad I got educated in both fields.

2 year rule is gone. Check it out:

http://www.faa.gov/apa/pr/2005/controller.htm

Lrjtcaptain said:
\so.....good luck rookies, number 1, you terminal guys are gonna wash out, guaranteed, number 2, your not gonna have too many friends when you enter this business. Good luck.....and welcome to the world of the FAA. Its a freaking nightmare.

We'll see. Supposedly NATCA has an agreement with the FAA that the highest facility that you get assigned to out of school is an 8, but correct me if I'm wrong. I've spoken to some people in the know out west (hiring managers for the FAA) and they pretty much told me that they will honor the agreement.

Eastern, on the other hand, will place you where ever and wash you down. I have friends in New York Tracon and they love it, were assigned there out of school, and haven't washed out. They're even CPC already. Funny, I've talked to some people at some high-level facilities, and they're *desperate* for additional bodies... including those straight out of school :) Frankly, I get the impression that those I worked with wouldn't care if I'm green, and I probably wouldn't even see those at the smaller facilities that wanted a bigger facility.

Besides, you think we have any control over where we get placed? Heck no. You get an offer. It's not like we knowingly chose working for a dirt bag non union bottom feeding regional carrier or paid for our job. OOpps, we did pay for our job. Scratch that.

Anyway, I happen to believe the FAA will put bodies where they need them. Why? Since it takes three years (or so they say) to check out, it will be a minimum of three years before they can let the current CPC's go to bigger and better things, at which point they *sill* have to get trained at the new facility. Think of it as United getting rid of 727's. If they have to furlough in seniority order, a significant number of training events occur as junior guys get the boot and the others are reassigned to other equipment. If they could just furlough the 727 pilots, UA would think life is grand. That's essentially what the FAA is going to have to do -- skip training events to save money and time.

Flyboy6420 said:
Something weird is definately happening...a friend of mine who did the CTI program got a call...but my girlfriend who did the same program with a much better GPA hasn't heard anything yet. Just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for any of it.

The main reason probaly is they bid on different regions. My girlfriend got hired before me but graduated after me, it all has to do with regions and current staffing.

Just wondering.. How much do they get paid?

Latest resources

Back