FAA and Reporting requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
midlifeflyer said:
...In other states, there is a separate administrative procedure in which the licensing agency can do the suspension through an administrative procedure that has nothing whatsoever to do with the criminal proceedings. It's possible to have your license suspended through that process even if you "win" the DUI trial in the criminal courts, due to different standards of proof in each.

There are at least a few other variations on the theme of loss of driving privilege without a conviction. That variety is probably the reason 61.15 defines "motor vehicle action" the way it does.
First offense DUI is not a "criminal" offense in WI...it's a civil offense.

In WI, the officer will hand you a pink piece of paper that he will simply tell you is a "reciept" for your driver's license. This is really a "notice to suspend" and becomes a 30 day temporary license for the alleged violator and gives him/her something to drive on until they suspend you after the judicial review.

Here's where a pilot who gets pinched, may want to pay attention. You may attend the judicial review and ask that your license not be suspended untill your actual court disposition. Then, if you can postpone your court case for a year, you might be able to postpone your FAA notification and your employer notification until after you have met your probationary period of employment...it could be something to think about.

Otherwise, for most people, it's probably going to be better to get the suspension out of the way as soon as possible, by taking it up front at the judicial review determination. If you read the last sentence in the quoted material, it is said that the adminstrative and the court imposed suspensions run concurently...which means if you take your suspension up front, when you are tried and found guilty, the court will see that you already served your suspension already. You do not get a second suspension.

In Wisconsin, first-time Operating While Intoxicated (OWI) offenses are treated as civil rather than criminal offenses and may be adjudicated by municipal courts. Wisconsin statutes prohibit prosecutors from reducing OWI offenses to lesser offenses, and deferred prosecution also is generally prohibited.
Wisconsin imposes both an administrative and a court-imposed license suspension for the first OWI offense. The administrative penalties include a mandatory six-month suspension for persons who fail the BAC test and a mandatory one-year revocation if the BAC test is refused. The administrative penalties are imposed 30 days after the date of the offense. If the driver fails the test, the law enforcement officer takes immediate possession of the driver's license and gives notice to the driver that the license will be administratively suspended and that the driver has the right to obtain an administrative and judicial review. This notice serves as a 30-day temporary license. The officer then forwards the license to the Division of Motor Vehicles, which suspends the license if the driver does not appeal. The process is similar in the case of a test refusal, except that the officer gives the driver a notice to revoke by court order, and then forwards the license to the court, with copies to the prosecutor and the Division of Motor Vehicles. Upon conviction for OWI, offenders receive a court-imposed license revocation of six to nine months. The administrative and court-imposed license penalties must run concurrently.

The military can't be sued...that's why the widows of the C 130 crew that flew the dead stick 4 engine flameout aircraft, sued manufacturers of the C 130 and it's components.

That wasn't a flame-out, it was a four engine roll back, and it wasn't the military's fault.

Proceedures are available for the four engine rollback in the Herc.

avbug said:
That wasn't a flame-out, it was a four engine roll back, and it wasn't the military's fault.

Proceedures are available for the four engine rollback in the Herc.

The us error force says King-56 flew on a single fuselage tank for their entire flight and ran that tank dry, causing four engines to flame out. You can argue your theories with them.

FN FAL said:
I'd like to see you cite your references that the government can operate negligently and not be held responsible for it's actions.
Sorry. Too many decisions; too little time. :)

But you can look up "governmental immunity." It's a legal principle that goes back to the days of the old English monarchy. Except in rare circumstances, the government can't be sued unless it consents to it. That what the Federal Tort Claims Act and similar state laws are about. I doubt you'd find many states in which the act covers a judicial or quasi-judicial administrative decision that turns out to be incorrect.

In the federal arena, check out the decisions under the Equal Access to Justice Act, which is a federal law that allows defendants in certain cases (including FAA certificate actions) to be reimbursed for their legal expenses in certain cases of unjustified prosecution and the hoops that you have to go through to be successful.

just a little update after speaking to an Aviation attorney today. He stated to me that since i did not have an active medical (expired after 24 months) at the time that i was not required to notify the FAA (the letter stated in 61.15. But he stated that when i apply for a new medical that in 18V i have to put previously reported in 92 (obviously) and THEN state the offense (which was not a conviction) in 94. He sounded pretty sure of himself on this so i am wondering if anyone can shed a little more light on this for me. I still have yet to get in touch with a few more attorneys to get there perspective. Just trying to do the right thing here without screwing myself!

Last edited:
This ruling was affirmed on February 23, 2001 by the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Based on these significant court victories, the named plaintiffs have sought an interim award of expenses and attorneys’ fees in the amount of $14,528,467.71 under the Equal Access to Justice Act (EAJA). Under EAJA, a party that has won its case in whole or in part is called the “prevailing party” and if the criteria of EAJA are met, that party is eligible for an award of expenses and attorneys fees paid by the government. Such an award, as here, includes costs such as attorneys’ fees and fees paid to experts. In general, the EAJA award is calculated using a reasonable hourly rate and the time expended by the individual lawyer or expert.

Indians sue federal government under EAJA...

http://forums.flightinfo.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=842504

Corrupt LAPD sued by convicted murderer under the civil remedies portion of the R.I.C.O. Act...

Federal Judge Allows RICO to Be Used vs. LAPD

Federal District Judge William Rea ruled yesterday that anti-racketeering laws can be used in a current case against the Los Angeles Police Department and officers accused of corrupt acts in the continually unfolding Rampart Division police scandal. The court’s ruling will allow the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) law to be used in a case in which plaintiffs are accusing LAPD officers of beating and false arrests, and arguing that the LAPD knew of and condoned these actions. Applying this statute to the case would treat the LAPD as a “criminal enterprise” that conspired to bring false drug charges, plant false evidence and brutalize citizens. Since the scandal erupted, over 100 criminal cases have been overturned. The LAPD has also been previously accused of systematically covering up brutality by officers toward their wives and girlfriends.

Wrongfully convicted man sues county government over wrongful conviction...

WHITELAW, Wis. - The Avery family and the police don't mix. Never have.

Friday night, just hours after prosecutors announced Steven Avery would face a murder charge in the death of a Hilbert woman, his older brother, Chuck, popped the trunks of his family's cars. He said he wanted to make sure Manitowoc County sheriff's deputies hadn't planted more trouble for them.
"We're really on edge," he said outside his brother Earl's farmhouse as darkness fell.
Steven Avery spent 18 years in prison for a rape he didn't commit before DNA evidence exonerated him. He filed a $36 million wrongful conviction lawsuit against Manitowoc County.

Latest resources

Back