Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

diggertwo

http://www.pilotbug.com/?p=1446

Randy Babitt, the FAA Administrator, stressed more cockpit professionalism in the drive for more safety and fewer accidents at US airlines. In a speech to the International Safety Forum today, Mr. Babitt stated that the difference between the outcomes of the US Airways Flight 1549 and Colgan Flight 3407 was one of “textbook greatness, the other a complete inattention to basic details."

The Administrator was referring to the contrast between the two flights. The January 15th US Airways flight, which an Airbus 319 was struck by Canada geese after departure from New York’s Laguardia airport was followed by a successful ditching in the Hudson river. The other was the February 13th fatal crash of a Colgan DeHavilland Q400 in Buffalo, NY, in which pilot error was largely determined to be the cause.

Babbitt indicated that in addition to a more professional culture, the airlines should better utilize tools and concepts like the Safety Management System (SMS), a set of guidelines and risk management processes designed to increase the safety decision making process. Last month the FAA issued an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (PDF) concerning the SMS for the airline industry and other aviation operators to adopt.

anyone wants help with SMS let me know

Babitt could surely help my disposition if he would get the TSA to implement crew pass at every airport in the country and start working on overseas. I am ready to support a one day work stop like they pull Europe to influence the TSA to make it happen.

md11drvr........SPOT ON!!!!!! I would like to change a word in you previous post. INFLUENCE=FORCE.
Why in AUA, SDQ, SXM or anyplace else......"No, sir, leave you laptop in you bag"

Babitt could surely help my disposition if he would get the TSA to implement crew pass at every airport in the country and start working on overseas. I am ready to support a one day work stop like they pull Europe to influence the TSA to make it happen.

They need to get more than one computer per checkpoint. It can take forever to get througha crew pass line when cletus has the only work station and types at 40 words per hour.

They need to get more than one computer per checkpoint. It can take forever to get througha crew pass line when cletus has the only work station and types at 40 words per hour.

Well I have to agree but I'll be happy with nationwide implementation and obviously enough terminals to accomodate normal traffic. As far as Cletus goes well the TSA hires what they hire and until they raise the bar we're stuck with "They Stand Around".

Babbit is not interested in safety. He is interested in politics.

Ask Babbit what happened to the 1500 hour minimum pilot requirement for Part 121 operations? He must of used his Safety Management System experts to determine a higher level of experience would not lead to more professionalism.

How many hours did the Buffalo pilots have compared to the Hudson River pilots?

Respect and the wages of such also has something to do with professionalism. McDonald's restaurant workers do not have the same level of professionalism the fine dinning establishments of NYC present at the dinner table. And no amount of McDonald's SMS academy training is going to make them comparable.

You get what you pay for Babbit. He just doesn't understand because the ATA keeps shining a bright light in his face.

For Babbitt to make a statement regarding the Colgan crew prior to the release of the final NTSB report shows he's not up to the job. I would be willing to bet there's alot more to the story on the Colgan crash than anyone knows.

Latest resources

Back