• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FA helps American Airlines Land

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry but I'm not letting the general public in my cockpit inflight.

I'll take a stew and give her a checklist but Joe Public will meet my Leetle Friend if he steps into my office.

Good job by the Flight Attendant. She'll make great bar talk.

Gup

Sorry but I'm not letting the general public in my cockpit inflight.

I'll take a stew and give her a checklist but Joe Public will meet my Leetle Friend if he steps into my office.

Good job by the Flight Attendant. She'll make great bar talk.

Gup

Agreed, I can single pilot if necessary (did it once already in similar situation), but no pax in the flight deck. If it's an emergency requiring extra hands, I'd take another crew member without thinking twice.

Good Job FA.

Does anyone know at what point in the flight this occurred? Was it just prior to landing, or did it happen more enroute? I would just think that if it was still enroute, it would have been more practical to land at a nearest suitable, remove the f/o, and go from there. Must have been pretty sick to not be able to continue duties....not trying to put down what happened, it just raises some more questions for me.

Hey, some guy in the back named Al Kada wanted to help out. He said he had about 30 hours in "straight and level."

Bye Bye----General Lee
I'm assuming you're being snide to point out the fact that it would have been a terrible security breach and an epic case of bad judgment to let an unknown passenger up into the flight deck in this day and age...

If that's not what you meant, then yes, the post was in poor taste. If that IS what you meant, then never mind, I got the sarcasm, but it took me a read or two (and several years of reading your posts) to get it. Internet humor/sarcasm doesn't come across very well unless you explain it or somewhat know the poster's writing style.

The FA said "she's a commercial pilot." I'll bet that she has a commercial certificate but she doesn't fly planes for a commercial operator, there's a difference. When you read AOPA magazine, everybody and their dog is a " commercial pilot."

Hi!

It is not uncommon for airlines to bring a non-employee up in the cockpit when 1 pilot is incapacitated...In the last few years at US airlines, AF guys, civilian pilots, etc. have helped out up front. When it is an emergency you should do whatever it is that will help improve the chances of a positive outcome.

cliff
LFW

I agree....but "flu-like symptoms" doesn't quite sound like an emergency to me....I think I could technically still keep flying if I was feeling flu like symptoms...unless I was heaving my guts out maybe.....if it was a heart attack, then definitely an emergency. So does anyone know if this occurred as they were already starting the arrival or approach into Chicago, or did this happen more en-route?

Hi!

It is not uncommon for airlines to bring a non-employee up in the cockpit when 1 pilot is incapacitated...In the last few years at US airlines, AF guys, civilian pilots, etc. have helped out up front. When it is an emergency you should do whatever it is that will help improve the chances of a positive outcome.

cliff
LFW

Hi!

cliff
LFW
You can. I won't. Not in this day and age, no way, no how, not a chance in hell...

Someone I knew? Sure. Have an extra F/A to run the radios? A commuting or deadheading pilot that works for your airline or someone that's been CASS verified? Sure.

Otherwise, a complete stranger? I can fly the plane just fine on my own with an incapacitated pilot and would prefer that over the risk of an unknown in the flight deck with me.

YMMV

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back