F/O flying on pax legs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AZ Typed said:
Do you always response with such candor? Fun to fly with too, I'll bet.

eeeesh

Oops, I forgot, this is supposed to be playful banter. My bad.

I will infer from your last post that you don't take any issue with mine. I really don't mean to be an a$$, I just worry that someone with less time than me or CAsyn might read one of these asinine posts and actually believe them. But now that I think of it, maybe all you guys should start flying down with the airliners so I can get more directs.

Ace

CapnVegetto said:
490...why not? If it saves fuel, is a better ride? Give me one good reason why not? I hear Gulfstreams at 450 and 470 all the time. Please
explain to me what they are doing wrong.

Because at 490 if you loose the cabin you and everyone in the airplane is D E A D! And I know you don't sit the with your mask on. Let the cabin go at 490 and you'll never know it; your chin will hit your chest about the same time you go to reach for your quick don mask.

For the most part, we always operated as co-captains with equally qualified personnel and they changed seats with legs. That said, if we were using a contractor or an FO who was a captain in a smaller aircraft as F/O, then the captain was to fly the passenger legs and his discretion on deadhead legs.

HawkerF/O said:
Because at 490 if you loose the cabin you and everyone in the airplane is D E A D! And I know you don't sit the with your mask on. Let the cabin go at 490 and you'll never know it; your chin will hit your chest about the same time you go to reach for your quick don mask.

Well, if your fuel tank catches on fire, then everyone in D E A D too. So should none of us fly airplanes that require fuel? We should all fly gliders!

You know, come to think of it, how many crashes have occured because people lost control of the airplane in IFR? New rule required, VFR FLIGHT ONLY IS ALLOWED!

The point is, this sort of thing goes on all the time, you can't outlaw driving because someone somewhere crashes, you can't outlaw golf if someone gets hit in the head with golf ball. That's just common sense. Ace has already said it, he's at 470 and 490 all the time. By your logic, he should be dead.

Just use a little sense man. It happens all the time, and it's OK.

Besides, I've never been above 450.

HawkerF/O said:
You obviously don't know why those altitudes are certified and what systems have been created to protect pax and crew if something does go wrong. I'm not being paid to be your instructor however so let's just say you are wrong.

I see why I've left aviation for the most part. This all reaffirms my choice to fly 135 here and there after years of abuse at all levels and this kinds of egotistical crap. It's impossible to have a worthwhile discussion on these boards.

AZT out

HawkerF/O said:

OH MY GOD you're an idiot!

I really hope you're not a pilot because it would be an embarrassment to all the other ones out there who know their a$$ from a hole in the ground.

Don't reply. Just shut up and let the real pilots chat.

Ace

cxcap said:
i'm pretty sure that the airlines dont let the F/O fly while pax are on board. the F/O is mainly there to raise and lower the gear/flaps, talk on the radio, navigate, and basically do whatever else the captain orders him to do (get coffee, fill out paperwork, etc). if the FO is lucky he may get to fly the plane on a ferry flight if the captain lets him.

You can tell cxcap's knowledge by his experience numbers. FYI most 121 pilots fly every other leg, depending on the Capt experience level. You would be surprised what you can learn from watching someone else's performance. And most of the 121 f/o's are in the right seat due to senority rather than ability.( 15-20 years there) And yes, they fly as smooth as anyone else.

As for this thread, I would not work for an operation that, after say 100 hrs, felt that I could not fly the aircraft as well as anyone else.

Latest resources

Back