Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ace-of-the-Base said:
I'm sorry, this one is just so open.

Wasn't it a 121 crew on a deadhead in an RJ that just wanted to see how high it would go.

I really wish everyone would use facts to support their opinions.

Ace

Good Point. But still stupid don't you agree?

AZ, many of the issues you are describing are usually the result of someone being lazy and/or sloppy.

If *you* show that you are going to be professional, most pilots will start being more professional as well, if only so they don't look bad.

No takeoff data? Whose fault is that? If you are the PNF, *you* should compute it automatically, whether asked for or not. If you are the PF, *you* should ask for it. If the other pilot doesn't want to do it, tell them you are uncomfortable unless it is done. If they still refuse, do it yourself and start looking for another job after the trip.

No approach briefing? Obviously you are not the PF, or *you* would have given a briefing, right? So maybe you need to remind the PF? If something isn't covered in the briefing, ask a question.

You don't have to be self-righteous or a jerk about any of this. Simply act professional and lead by example.

AZ Typed said:
Good Point. But still stupid don't you agree?

No, not always. I fly a GV and we go to 470 / 490 all the time. If you are going to worry about something, why don't you try using science. How many accidents have been caused (or made worse) by being at 490 as opposed to 410? None! Stats can be very usefull, they make you not pull concerns out of your rear. Look at where most accidents happen, then focus your worries on making that phase of flight safer. Many times 490 could be SAFER than 410 (wx, traffic spacing, etc.) Everyone has the right to an opinion, I just like the ones that are backed up by facts.

Ps: I am also asuming (considering your concerns about rappid decompression) that you always have your mask on and sealed above 350, right?

Ace

i'm pretty sure that the airlines dont let the F/O fly while pax are on board. the F/O is mainly there to raise and lower the gear/flaps, talk on the radio, navigate, and basically do whatever else the captain orders him to do (get coffee, fill out paperwork, etc). if the FO is lucky he may get to fly the plane on a ferry flight if the captain lets him.

cxcap said:
i'm pretty sure that the airlines dont let the F/O fly while pax are on board. the F/O is mainly there to raise and lower the gear/flaps, talk on the radio, navigate, and basically do whatever else the captain orders him to do (get coffee, fill out paperwork, etc). if the FO is lucky he may get to fly the plane on a ferry flight if the captain lets him.

LOL.....That oughtta attract some HEATED discussion :D

cxcap said:

Absolute Flame Bait....cxcap obviously is from another world/planet/universe

It mostly boils down to corporate culture and oversight.

A crappy 121 operator will have crappier pilots than a shipshape 135 operator.

That said, on average, most 121 operators are more rigidly administrated, so therefore the perception (and a fair perception it is) is that 121 pilots are safer.

The reality is that 121 pilots are not better, just more closely watched (on average).

Ace-of-the-Base said:
No, not always. I fly a GV and we go to 470 / 490 all the time. If you are going to worry about something, why don't you try using science. How many accidents have been caused (or made worse) by being at 490 as opposed to 410? None! Stats can be very usefull, they make you not pull concerns out of your rear. Look at where most accidents happen, then focus your worries on making that phase of flight safer. Many times 490 could be SAFER than 410 (wx, traffic spacing, etc.) Everyone has the right to an opinion, I just like the ones that are backed up by facts.

Ps: I am also asuming (considering your concerns about rappid decompression) that you always have your mask on and sealed above 350, right?

Ace

Do you always response with such candor? Fun to fly with too, I'll bet.

eeeesh

cxcap said:
Dumba$$

English said:
And hey, AZ typed, I'm pretty sure I have more 121 experience that you (3 airlines). I've run into more cowboys at your elevated-status 121 carriers than I ever have at 135 operators.
I am one of those cowboys but am able to follow the rules at whatever company I work for and get along. This whole discussion is worthless if we all look at the experience levels of the people arguing. It's like the apples arguing with the oranges. Obviously the people that have flown more than a few years have no respect for the arguments in this thread and the others just don't get it.

Latest resources

Back