F/O flying on pax legs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Paradoxus said:
My first 135 job was flying pax on-demand in the Bahamas--the "finesse" required to fly passengers to their level of satisfaction wasn't brain surgery.

Same here too. Where/Who did you fly the 402s for??

These policies that you fellas know of, are they written in stone in the SOP manual or are they unwritten?

If a company screens applicants and trains/checks to the standards they shouldnt have a problem with the FO flying, no matter who is onboard. A good Captain should understand that a part of being a Captain is being an instructor to some degree and should help the FO over the rough spots. Granted, some period of familiarization may be required following training to fly in the "real world" without making people sick, but that shouldnt be more than a normal IOE type period.

If, on the other hand the company does not screen applicants well and does not train and check to the proper standards, they have reason to worry about FOs flying PAX, but should worry more about the fact that they have no buisiness operating.

Though there may be a rough edge or two to smooth out on the line, a propertly trained FO should be able to operate the aircraft to the same standard as the Captain in normal everyday ops, and the emergencies that require immediate action to save the aircraft.

Second in COMMAND

An F/O is a captain in training, plain and simple.

I have flown as F/O for several 135 companies in Lears to Gulfstreams. With each new step up, I went from "radio operator" to flying dead legs from the right seat until proficient to flying pax legs in the right seat to flying empty legs in the left seat until being promoted to PIC. It all takes a little bit of time and for an F/O to fly from the left seat at our company requires 1) a recommendation from the captain(s) you fly with and 2.) a written authorization from the company with operational control of the aircraft.

FLY HAPPY !!

How's this for icing on the cake:

The guy in the left seat:

...has less time than you.
...can't handle more than one task at a time.
...typically has little to no situational awareness on many levels.
...zones out, often.
...really, honestly, doesn't belong in the left seat, at all.
...struggles in the right seat.
...and never lets you fly, ever.

And I'm not talking C402 stuff...multi-turbojets. Now call me crazy, but doesn't a type-rating mean you can multi-task, you know where you and your airplane are, you can fly from both seats, and you can do two things at once? I thought it did?

AZT

...has less time than you.
...can't handle more than one task at a time.
...typically has little to no situational awareness on many levels.
...zones out, often.
...really, honestly, doesn't belong in the left seat, at all.
...struggles in the right seat.
...and never lets you fly, ever.
This is probably the same mental list my Captain makes when he has to fly with me. :(

Minhberg the Flatulant
:)D)

The airlines alternate every leg, regardless of aircraft size, weather, pax on board, or anything. (There might be a few minor exceptions, but very few to the above.) The 135 and 91 operator's continue to strive to elevate themselves to airline SOP's and safety but don't let the F/O's fly except on empty legs. I don't get it. If they are good enough to hire then they are good enough to fly.

Chill Homer, the reason for the policy was some of you cargo boys floated some of the passengers and then they obviously never came back. Dumb policy, yea probably..but more of a self-preservation than discrimination on the FOs. Still picking up them Hookah chicas??gimme call when your in town. Later!

Latest resources

Back