F D X v. S W A

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TexaSWA said:
You see there are these things called "room parties", where crews go after the bar closes, drink "herb's booze", and...

... use your imagination.

... now double the rauciousness that you were imagining.

Kid Rock ain't seen nothing like a weekend PM at the Main Sail.

From where are you importing these good looking women who haven't been poked by every pilot on the line? Almaty doesn't count.

Now the cheap booze at these parties has a lot of merit...how do you get Herb to pay?

I have a question.

Some of you have mentioned SWA and FedEx guys pulling in $250K/yr. Looking at the pay, SWA tops out at $198/hr, and FedEx at $206/hr.

I averaged the top pay for the legacies. Top pay averages to $181/hr. Although this is less than SWA and FedEx, it would appear guys at the legacies shouldn't be making a lot less than those at SWA and FedEx, from looking at that. My question is; if some SWA and FedEx guys are pulling in $250K/yr, shouldn't some at the legacies still be pulling in around $200K/yr, or am I missing something? In fact, if $198/hr = $250K/yr, then $181/hr = $228K/yr.

Again, I may be missing something, but it seems as though the legacy guys are still doing pretty well, considering pay cuts.

radarlove said:
Wow. That was stupid. I hope you live in Memphis.

Radar: Stupid is as stupid does. Lumping in FedEx with "night freight" as you so often do is quite ignorant. Yes we fly at night. Normally we don't fly all night. You might fly 2 legs during the critical (2-8am) period. They are usually pretty short legs too. There is much more to FedEx however than "night freight".

You are the one who is coming off as stupid, and you obviously don't know WTF you are talking about.

QF: Congrats on the offers.

Anecdotal evidence at best, but I only know of one person who had the choice in the past 4 years that went with SW. I know of several that had the choice and went with Purple (self included).

It isn't a slam dunk in either direction, its a tough choice and definitely one that requires a lot of soul searching and outside advice. In the end, though, you have to be able to sleep at night with your choice.

For me the domicile/commuting issue was king. I would look long and hard at where you want to live and where you have to commute to. That will most likely have the most impact on your quality of life at either exceptional company.

Good luck with your decision.

FJ

Pilot on the rise: You're oversimplifying. You can't compare apples to oranges, the question is "how many credit hours" does a pilot get, not "what is the pay rate per hour".

If everyone only flew 83 hours and got 83 hours of credit, your analysis makes sense, but different airlines do it differently. I know that check airmen at Jet Blue can easily get 120 credit hours per month, UAL pilots used to get credit for lots of stuff that wasn't hard flying, and Fedex pilots really don't fly too much compared to passenger airlines, so they get pay credit and rigs.

From the folks I know that do it, it's possible to make more than $300k at Fedex (it's also possible at SWA according to rumor I don't know anyone that does it there), it's certainly reasonable to make $225k at SWA as a captain and at UAL now, the captain pay is now around the $130k to $150k, same as Jet Blue.

Also SWA has that weird trips for pay system that I get bored hearing the explanation to, so I don't know much about it. As far as I can tell, it's a cross between houly pay and mileage pay and too complicated for me to care too much about.

Oh, and Falcon guy, night freight sucks. Day freight sucks. You're on the freight ramp using porta-potties when the passenger guys are drinking Starbucks and picking up a copy of Maxim.

The lifestyles are totally different. Flying freight means sitting around a lot, frieght ramps, K-loaders and other un-romantic stuff. Yes, you get to see International stuff, but one of the most pathetic sights I've seen was in Paris at an art museum.

Three Fedex guys were wandering through the museum, "chatting" with each other about the art. They were stiff and uncomfortable and stuck together to see the sights, just like they had probably just been stuck together for ten hours flying across the Atlantic. If that's the romantic life of an international pilot (hanging out with your crew of uptight guys who complain about the cost of admission to a museum) then you probably made the right choice.

Last edited:
radarlove said:
much about.

Oh, and Falcon guy, night freight sucks. Day freight sucks. You're on the freight ramp using porta-potties when the passenger guys are drinking Starbucks and picking up a copy of Maxim.

The lifestyles are totally different. Flying freight means sitting around a lot, frieght ramps, K-loaders and other un-romantic stuff.

Are you for real? Get a grip. Port-a-potty? Sorry that you either got turned down or are too immature to admit that you don't know wtf you're talking about.

radarlove said:
The lifestyles are totally different. Flying freight means sitting around a lot, frieght ramps, K-loaders and other un-romantic stuff. Yes, you get to see International stuff, but one of the most pathetic sights I've seen was in Paris at an art museum.
Have you seen the "romance" on the A&E show "Airline"? Now that is romantic. A guy trying to board that smelled so bad, the gate agent had to kick him off the plane. A bum trying to board who had no pants (or underwear) on. Obese people losing their $hit because they were just told they're going to have to buy 2 seats. Etc, etc, etc...........
You're absolutely right. I'm going to go pay for my own training and apply to get a taste of that "romance" you're touting. What was I thinking? I stand humbly corrected.

radarlove said:
If everyone only flew 83 hours and got 83 hours of credit, your analysis makes sense, but different airlines do it differently. I know that check airmen at Jet Blue can easily get 120 credit hours per month, UAL pilots used to get credit for lots of stuff that wasn't hard flying, and Fedex pilots really don't fly too much compared to passenger airlines, so they get pay credit and rigs.

From the folks I know that do it, it's possible to make more than $300k at Fedex (it's also possible at SWA according to rumor I don't know anyone that does it there), it's certainly reasonable to make $225k at SWA as a captain and at UAL now, the captain pay is now around the $130k to $150k, same as Jet Blue.

Also SWA has that weird trips for pay system that I get bored hearing the explanation to, so I don't know much about it. As far as I can tell, it's a cross between houly pay and mileage pay and too complicated for me to care too much about.

Obviously RADARLOVE is on the outside looking in and is holding a big bag full of clueless. Hope the glass doesn't get diry with his face pressing up against it looking in!

radarlove said:
Pilot on the rise: You're oversimplifying. You can't compare apples to oranges, the question is "how many credit hours" does a pilot get, not "what is the pay rate per hour".

Three Fedex guys were wandering through the museum, "chatting" with each other about the art. They were stiff and uncomfortable and stuck together to see the sights, just like they had probably just been stuck together for ten hours flying across the Atlantic. If that's the romantic life of an international pilot (hanging out with your crew of uptight guys who complain about the cost of admission to a museum) then you probably made the right choice.

You know not of what you speak. Hate to say it but you are putting out a lot of misinformation concerning life at FedEx. Better to stick to what you DO know and leave the FedEx answers to the guys who DO know. Or you could continue to pass along incorrect information and continue to show that big chip on your shoulder. I actually don't know if you do have a chip on your shoulder but your posts sure make it appear that you do.:confused:

active_herk said:
Can you explain what you mean when you say China decides to nationalize its business? Do you mean they will only allow Chinese planes and pilots to fly into and out of their country? I guess I can understand if you say China will nationalize its business and have Chinese pilots fly point to point within China, but thats pretty much what all countries (including the US) do now. Its called cabotage. As far as international is concerned, how many countries do you think would sit back and say "I guess its ok that we can no longer fly our planes to your country, but you can fly your planes to ours." No country would ever agree to that.

Besides, its pretty much a non-issue since China can't even find enough of its own people to fly their airplanes. They are having to hire guys from other countries to come in at three times the Chinese pilot's normal salary just to fly their airplanes. In addition, the forecast is for them to have an even greater shortage of pilots in the future. How can you "nationalize" your airline if you can't even find the warm bodies to fill the cockpit seats?

Easier than you think. It's all about goods going from A to B. Buyer from supplier. Middle man always can get cut out. Seriously, the supplier don't care and the buyer will want it cheapest. In terms of our country putting a stop to it? Yeah right, I highly doubt Nike, Dell, etc... cares how the product gets here and that is the bottom line. A lot more pull with them and our politicians than FedEx. I'm not stirrring the pot and I am certainly not smart enough to think of it.

Have you seen the "romance" on the A&E show "Airline"? Now that is romantic. A guy trying to board that smelled so bad, the gate agent had to kick him off the plane. A bum trying to board who had no pants (or underwear) on. Obese people losing their $hit because they were just told they're going to have to buy 2 seats. Etc, etc, etc...........
You're absolutely right. I'm going to go pay for my own training and apply to get a taste of that "romance" you're touting. What was I thinking? I stand humbly corrected.

What about the a$$ that packs his HAZMAT in a package and doesn't fess up to it. Its loaded onto a Fed Ex bird, said bird catches on fire, crew lucky to be alive. Even after bouncing the airplane and flipping onto its back trying to land. That sound like more of a hazard to me then some stinky guy.

Latest resources

Back