F.A.R. Book

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CoAPorT

Hello everyone I am currently a student in high school. I am planning to becoming a pilot. I guess you've heard that alot around here before, hehe.

Well I just wanted to know if you would suggest me reading the F.A.R 2001 book? And is one coming out in 2002? How much do those books retail for? Just thought i might get ahead of a little bit, and start reading some stuf. Im planning on going to college and getting a 4 year degree and while im there get my ratings, so then if the industry goes bad or something, I will have another career to fall back on and live comfortably.

Thanx everyone in Advance!

I would take a closer look at the Airman's Information Manual than I would the Federal Aviation Regulations. As a student and private pilot, there is a small subset of the regulations that you will need to know. Sometimes the regs seem to contradict each other too, making them confusing a little. The A.I.M. part has more information like light gun signals, taxiway and runway markings, etc. There should be a 2002 edition out already but if you have a 2001 edition, I wouldn't go out and get a 2002 one since 2003 will be out soon. Most of the time the combination book retails for about $15. You can get one at mypilotstore.com, sportys.com or the FBO (fixed base operator) at your local airport will have them for sale.

Good luck on the career and don't let anyone steal your dream. I have had my license for 10 years now, am 31 getting ready to turn 32, and have 237.3 hours total flight time. I am getting ready to quit my IT job and get the rest of my ratings. Am I crazy? Probably so but flying a plane is what I live for. It sure beats the BSD (Big Steel Desk) that I am flying for a living now.

Thanx El Cid :D

Would you suggest me waiting for the FAR/AIM 2003 edition? I mean i dont really need it now just thought i would do some reading on aviation and see how it is like, since I am gonna get into it in the future.

What Big Steel Desk you flying now?

Thanx!

Yep, I'd just wait for the 2003 edition. Until then, study the '01 edition. You might even get a pilot to sell or give you his '02 edition when the '03 edition comes out. There is not that much significant information that changes that would justify the lates and greatest edition until you started flight training.

I am flying a BSD with a computer on it that I do web site and web application development with. I would swear that it's government issued but my company is definitely not government run. The only thing I like that's government issued is the F/A-18 and it's relatives :D

P.S. You may also want to check out AOPA Flight Training magazine. The web site is http://www.aopaflighttraining.org/

Thanx Av8or.

Gotta check out some schools up here in the NJ area, thanx for the info and the link man, appreciate it.

Thanx :D

FAR and Wide

Sounds like a good plan.
I wanted to throw in to try the local library -- I know the one here had an old FAR AIM -- but yours mightr have one thats not too old. If you can't find one and get desperate -- let me know and maybe I can send ya my '01.

Shaun

FAR and Wide

Sounds like a good plan.
I wanted to throw in to try the local library -- I know the one here had an old FAR AIM -- but yours mightr have one thats not too old. If you can't find one and get desperate -- let me know and maybe I can send ya my '01.

Shaun

Hmmmm.

Not sure I would dive into the FAR or AIM books at this stage of the game. You might try some Private Pilot text books first. This is the one I recommend:

Rod MacHado's Private Pilot Handbook: The Ultimate Private Pilot Book

It's $24.47 at Amazon.com right now. It is a very informative book that is well written and easy to understand...Kinda along the lines of "Flying for Dummy's." Since it came out, I made all of my students read it.

Good Luck,
JetPilot500

P.S. Good idea on having a career to fall back on.

Thanx JetPilot for the info, ill might just pick up that book.

Where are you from? Just wondering where ya teach at. Thanx.

Latest resources

Back